Cordless Drills

antoncav

I was a DeWalt fan until my wife picked up an 18V Makita on black Friday last year. It is a Lit-Ion, and very light and balanced. The charger is a 15min charger. It also has the little LED light at the end of it. I am now currently waiting for my drills to break so that I can replace them with these.

I have never been too picky about drills. Does it spin in circles? Yep. Does it hold a charge? Yep. I'll take it! That being said, I have been lucky enough to get my hands on some of the best drills around (Festool). But obviously these don't come cheap. So the other brand I use most often is DeWalt. They perform great and I like having yellow tools. :)

Are you actually using it as a drill? Like creating holes? I ask b/c lots of folks use the term drill as a general term for a power tool that spins.

What are you going to do with it? I've owned just about every brand (but Festool :angry: ) and can say that if you buy a higher end drill, you'll more than likely get a decent tool that will last for many years.

If you are going to mostly drive screws, then hands down not a doubt in my mind get a impact driver. Best thing since peanut butter. ;)

Oh, yeah my PC 18v was junk. I used it one time and gave it away to a friend that just needs a drill to install shelves.

I have the dewalt 18v with NiCd batteries. the drill is heavy duty and works like a champ, but Unless you are using the batteries on a daily basis, the NiCd won't last you very long - all 3 of mine died once I stopped working as a contractor as I didn't discharge-recharge them on a regular basis. so I would not look at anything but Li-Ion these days. I actually like the makitas 18v Li-Ion, they feel nice and priced well.

As mentioned -for driving screws - an impact driver can't be beat. that thing is just awesome!

one last thing - consider what you need the drill for, you may not really need 18v - which are heavier.

I like the Festool C12 drill/driver. They make bigger ones like the T15+3, but the C12 is small, ergonomic, more power and torque than you'd guess and the chucks for it are fantastic. The right-angle chuck holds its own without you needing to hang on to a small spinning handle. The eccentric chuck, though, is a favorite for getting as close as 1/2" from something to drill holes or drive screws.

Since the C12 is being replaced with a newer model likely in October, it will start appearing on eBay more and more plus they'll be cleared out. Still will be expensive, but you won't burn it out and replace it (which would get you to the cost of a C12).

In 'merica, we only rate drills by voltage. Silly since gearing makes a huge difference, but it's all marketing. The 12V has plenty of power and torque with Festool's gearing. Here's an example. Watch the video and see that the guy is driving and steering the cart with 2 C12s, one for each wheel.

No, it's not an 18v, but the Bosch PS-40 is my favorite drill. It's tiny (can fit in a large pocket) and has plenty of power since it's an impact driver. The only downside to that is noise. I even have a chuck I can put it and have used it with a 3/4" spade bit. Really though, if you're going to drill large holes, you'll need something with more power, but this one fits 90% of the things I use a drill for.

I'm with Marc. The only caveat is get a Li-ion. The newer battery technology is much better than the old Ni-Cad, as stated by Sharon. I'm lucky that my DeWalt 18V is still pumping. I have three batteries that I rotate, but when they die...I'm switching to an impact.

where are you ridgid people. how can you go wrong with the lifetime warranty. i have a 3 piece kit (drill, light, skill saw) i have had for 10 or 11 years. the batteries just a few months ago died. a phone call to a warranty center and 2 arrived in the mail free of charge, didnt have to send the old ones back or anything. i am thinking about taking them in and having them rebuilt so i have more 2 more batteries. the circ saw is nice cuz you can actually cut a 2x4. most of the circ saws that come in those kits wont cut a 2x4. i added the sawzall to the kit and added a bettery a few years back and added the cordless shop vac and a newer drill driver a few months back. everything works well and i have a pile of batteries, and they keep coming.

it all depends on what you want to buy later on. My wife went to Sears about 10 years ago and bought the most expensive cordless drill she could find for one of my Christmas gifts. It was a monster, 19.2v, DeWalt-made Craftsman that to this day will not quit. I was using it the other day for drilling 1 inch forstner counter bores and 1/2 inch auger bits and the thing barely heated up. It's great for big, outdoor projects but is pretty heavy/clunky. It sucks, because I really want one of the new Makita or Bosch lithium 18v kits and can't justify it yet. My neighbor even offered to borrow it and conveniently loose it so I can justify the new kit. Granted, he probably wouldn't give it back since his PC just broke down so I nicely declined his offer.

Well I will be the first to buck the trend. I have this Ryobi here and I love it.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xkc/R-100596701/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The lithium ion battery held its charge for a year , I temporarily lost it in a move. I opened it up and it was charged and ready to go. I never had that luck with any of the ni-cad batteries, they seem to die waiting to be used. I also like its light weight, cheap cost, and power. It has plenty to do anything I need as a woodworker and general house chores. I personally have no need for an impact for what I do. I feel if I need an impact, I will fire up the compressor and use my CP 734.

Shawn

So... I need some help deciding on a new 18v cordless drill... I have been looking at porter cable, rockwell, makitam,dewalt, etc.

Also... Nicd vs linthium ion?

I have given up on all battery powered tools. They are slow and bulky, take too long to recharge. You can't do a days work with one. Replacement batteries end up costing so much that it is almost cheaper to buy a replacement tool.

I am virtually never without a drop cord or an air hose. I have pneumatic tools that are probably as old as I am and I am 60. They will still be doing everything they were ever designed to do when I am dead and gone. I never had a battery powered anything that lasted 5 years. Probably not two years.

Electric tools seem to keep improving year after year. They just keep getting better. Battery powered drills only get bigger batteries, and better chargers, but keep using the same motors, and gear train year after year.

With regard to cordless drills I have three, a DeWalt 14V, and 2 Black & Deckers. The B&D's are simple and dependable, both 12V I think. The DeWalt is really a bomber unit. It was expensive, more than the two B&Ds combined. But considering the life expectancy of a cordless drill, I don't know that I'd ever spend that much again. I pretty much grab them interchangebly.

My DeWalt CORDED drill is just freakin' awesome. It's the best drill I have ever owned.

Lately though, much like Sternberg, I'm becoming a HUGE fan of air tools. I have two pneumatic sanders, one drill and a few various finish sprayers. I think I may be going more that direction in years to come.

I have two 18v black and decker firestorm drills, and get quite a bit of use. I got the second one a few years ago when the batteries for the first one stopped holding a charge. I discovered it was cheaper to buy a new drill with two batteries than it was to buy the batteries separate. I have put these two through there paces (including two DIY bathroom remodels), and they both have held up well. The only issue I have had with the first one (other than the batteries) is that the removable checked was lost. Actually, lost is not quite accurate, as I know exactly where it is. It is under the bathtub at my old hose during my first bathroom remodel. :) When I ordered the replacement chuck, I ordered it off of Dewalt's website. This has often made me wonder if more of the internals of these drills are the same or similar to what is in the dewalts.

I'm with marc, if it spins it's generally good enough for me.

I picked up a black and decker 18v firestorm at a B&D outlet for $50. Came with a worklight and two batteries.

HOWEVER i recently got a a two set Maikta impact driver Li-On from Home Depot. They're fantastic for things around the house. Only 10.8V but plenty good enough for the odd job. I often use it when drilling pilot holes as well. Gets the job done and charges in 30 minutes. Changing bits is super easy, and they have an LED light which i first that was stupid, but it's come in handy.

This is what i got (but also came with a nice bit set) http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=26529

I find with woodworking i'm rarely using a drill. Usually when a hole is required i goto my drill press. And for adding hardware i generally like to do that by hand. For hanging stuff around the house though, they come in handy.

I have a delwalt 18 volt nicd saw/drill combo that is now 9 years old- 5 years ago i bought the 18v biscuit joiner and now i rotate the 3 batteries and still havent burned one out. Knowing what i know now i would buy a 14 volt just for the weight factor. You just cant kill these drills- i have really stressed these batteries and they still seem to hold a decent charge. I cant imagine why i would buy another name brand plain and simple the are built very well.