Built in Men's Closet

Brendon_t

Not to give you more to second guess yourself on...but I think my main visual complaint is the beveled drawer fronts.  Not necessarily on their own, but in juxtaposition with the doors.  I think you would have been better off going with Shaker frame and panel for both...and full overlay.  Just my opinion.

wd-400-s3-sq-400f-cider-cherry.JPG

3 hours ago, Eric. said:

Not to give you more to second guess yourself on...but I think my main visual complaint is the beveled drawer fronts.  Not necessarily on their own, but in juxtaposition with the doors.  I think you would have been better off going with Shaker frame and panel for both...and full overlay.  Just my opinion.

wd-400-s3-sq-400f-cider-cherry.JPG

I 100% agree, and believe me, your not introducing new complaints. I never really thought about the break in continuity until I was finishing the doors. At that point, I ran to my hw dealer but they had received a new shipment of mahogany and the color was WAY different.  

I have never claimed to be a good designer.  I think I'm a fairly decent builder and can pretty much reverse engineer how to build something I like but the artistic gene seems to have skipped me. 

Live and learn I suppose. I can say that isn't a mistake I'll make again. 

Thanks all for the  critiques, criticisms,  and positive comments.  I welcome them all equally. 

Thanks for following along.  

Brendon, dude you nailed the build.  Every project is a learning experience.  like you said, just take what you learned and put it your back pocket for next time.  And you whipped these cabinets out in like 2 weeks.   You are the few, the proud :) 

12 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I have never claimed to be a good designer.  I think I'm a fairly decent builder and can pretty much reverse engineer how to build something I like but the artistic gene seems to have skipped me. 

I'm totally with ya man, I feel exactly the same way.  I'm way better at saying what's wrong with something after it's built than designing it properly from the start.

And I agree with Mike, you did a damn fine job.  And ya know, if it really bothers you, you could rebuild those drawers anytime you want, and then the whole thing would be perfect.  It looks good anyway man...it's just finicky elitist PITA woodworkers who critique every excruciating minutiae of every detail.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Brendon, dude you nailed the build.  Every project is a learning experience.  like you said, just take what you learned and put it your back pocket for next time.  And you whipped these cabinets out in like 2 weeks.   You are the few, the proud :) 

Totally agree with Mike man. You can only tweek perfection. Looks damn good as is.