Built in Men's Closet

Brendon_t

12 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Nice work..I see you have some color in your ties..

Yeah,  fortunately,  I haven't worn a tie in about a year. 

Ken and Shane, I plan to inlay an led strip behind the moulding at the top controlled by a dimmer. 

There are a few smaller glass sculptures that will be displayed and lit.

41 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Very nice work, Brendon! How do you like doing the built-in as compared to free-standing furniture?

Ross, do you mean how am I liking building them vs normal furniture? 

I'll admit that it is nice having only one show face and not having to give a crap about the other sides.  The rod hardware for instance.  I marked the drill holes and drilled all the way through.  No depth mark, no backer. that side will face the wall forever.  Who cares if it blew out.

With that said,  I do not really enjoy doing casework as much as solid furniture but this was a much wanted addition to my office. Just a preference 

Thanks for the kind words to all the others.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Alan G said:

Panels look great! I have got to get a bench project in the works. So much easier to hold stuff down!

Darn right.  I limped along without a decent work holding  for long enough. Just the options are great to have.  In use hold fasts on the top, front, and in the Deadman.  The vices are just gravy.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2016 at 6:44 PM, Brendon_t said:

Thinking I'll end up hand cutting them. 

So in typical me fashion, I out kicked my coverage on that statement.  Out of 3 dt's I cut last night just to get back into practice,  only one set was what I would call acceptable for this piece.. I was going with thin pins and my marking knife is just too short notice stubby to accurately mark after the tails were cut..

You have the arrangement in the best possible way. I would test finishing on the backs to see if the colors will even out.

Possibly a thinned out extra coat of stain or oil on the lighter boards will bring them out similar to the darker bottom left piece. You could even do a slight fade on the upper left one as well towards that darker splotch. I'm talking an attempt to be kinda artistic. Wiping the faces with mineral spirits is a test that might nullifiy the need altogether .

However it turns out those are some nice drawer fronts.

Thanks Steve,  These were wiped down with mineral spirits after finish sanding, about 30 minutes before the picture was taken. I'm ok with this layout, it was the best one I could find after moving them around a bunch.

IF I had an extra board, just in case, I would mess with air brushing in a dye to even things out. I don't have another just in case board so I don't think it's wise to mess around.  

9 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

What are the drawers sides and bottoms made with, ply or solid wood? 5/8 or 3/4 thick? 

The sides are 3/4" bb with 1/4 bb ply bottom. Overkill? Absolutely,  but I had it on hand so I used it. 

8 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

They are all from the same board but the grain changes a lot.

Welcome to mahogany :).  I celebrate those differences.  i think the layout in the pic will work fine.  It makes for a much more interesting piece than one where the boards are chosen for a homogeneous look (although some people favor that so no offense intended).

I spray a coat of sanding sealer on my Baltic birch drawers to prevent the wood from collecting dirt & greasy fingerprints. I sand 320 after a coat or 2 to smooth the nibs & raised grain , then leave it as a matte finish. I'm usually spraying the rest of the cabinet so it takes little time or effort since I'm already set up to spray. 

Some sort of finish might help prevent sweaters or delicate fabrics from snagging on an edge or rough spot.

I tried Watco once but it takes too long to dry. Maybe wiping on a coat of ARS would work, it's not like you need to build a finish.

• Like 2