Built in Men's Closet

Brendon_t

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I spray a coat of sanding sealer on my Baltic birch drawers to prevent the wood from collecting dirt & greasy fingerprints. I sand 320 after a coat or 2 to smooth the nibs & raised grain , then leave it as a matte finish. I'm usually spraying the rest of the cabinet so it takes little time or effort since I'm already set up to spray. 

Some sort of finish might help prevent sweaters or delicate fabrics from snagging on an edge or rough spot.

I tried Watco once but it takes too long to dry. Maybe wiping on a coat of ARS would work, it's not like you need to build a finish.

Bullseye shellac sanding sealer work for the purpose? This is my first project I've sprayed to date so it's still new. 

2 hours ago, Ryan Grondin said:

Sounds like you dress nice... 

Project is coming along nicely!!

I work in finance so 4-5 yes. After that,  I'm in a set of dickies or Levi's and a tee shirt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I spray a coat of sanding sealer on my Baltic birch drawers to prevent the wood from collecting dirt & greasy fingerprints. I sand 320 after a coat or 2 to smooth the nibs & raised grain , then leave it as a matte finish. I'm usually spraying the rest of the cabinet so it takes little time or effort since I'm already set up to spray. 

Some sort of finish might help prevent sweaters or delicate fabrics from snagging on an edge or rough spot.

I tried Watco once but it takes too long to dry. Maybe wiping on a coat of ARS would work, it's not like you need to build a finish.

What is sanding sealer made up of? Is it an oil-based finish?  Even normal poly without any BLO in it still stinks too much for me to use in an enclosed space, and takes 3-4 weeks for me to feel better about the smell of anything with BLO in it.

23 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

What is sanding sealer made up of? Is it an oil-based finish?  Even normal poly without any BLO in it still stinks too much for me to use in an enclosed space, and takes 3-4 weeks for me to feel better about the smell of anything with BLO in it.

No, and it is not a "finish." It is almost always water or shellac based. It is only meant to remain in pores and micro scratches. It needs to dry fast. Coat it, sand it and hour later, first coat of finish. Most of the sanding sealer is gone with the fine sanding. Other guys might have better knowledge, but this is how it was used in my paint store stain training. I suspect they meant "shellac it." 

Ok, I defer. If Steve said it, he means it. Take my post with a grain of salt. 

48 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

No, and it is not a "finish." It is almost always water or shellac based. It is only meant to remain in pores and micro scratches. It needs to dry fast. Coat it, sand it and hour later, first coat of finish. Most of the sanding sealer is gone with the fine sanding. Other guys might have better knowledge, but this is how it was used in my paint store stain training. I suspect they meant "shellac it." 

Ok, I defer. If Steve said it, he means it. Take my post with a grain of salt. 

That's always been my understanding also.   Just a quick drying seal coat that does a bit of pore filling for you before laying down your actual finish. 

@wdwerker what do you use on drawer boxes for that little bit of protection? Do you spray or wipe on?

4 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I always allow 1 1/16 for slides. Easier to shim slightly than shave a drawer. Drawers will work better with a load in them too. 

Looking good !

Side to side I left 1 1/6". Hardware recommended .5/side so I added a bit and they fit great. 

Thanks again for the finishing the drawers advice Steve. They feel great and seeing how the fronts, with no shellac on them for glue adhesion later already have dirty hand prints,  it was the right call. 

• Like 1

Finally I get to a spot where I can take a break and not feel like a turd.

2fc5d751e1bab76c17b436d33029bf84.jpg

The drawer boxes went in without much fuss. I had a bit more slop in the lower right drawer than I liked. A 32nd or so shim cut on the table saw fixed it up all proper like.

The drawer faces were double stick taped in position using shims and blue tape to keep everything aligned.

b0ef3f87bf2104040f372b6b7ba1bd62.jpg

18c7c71fe13f36d27962b2dab29ac24d.jpg

I'm sort of at a pause right now because I cannot settle on a set of hardware. I've spent hours searching and just haven't come across any that knock my Sox off.

• Like 2

It really looks great. 

I can appreciate your being stuck on not finding the right knobs. My wife likes to call this moment of indecision "project paralysis". 

I hit it often but I always feel like not making a rash decision or settling on something results in a much better finished project.

Thanks Mark. This is really my first set of full sized cabinet casework aside from a smaller bookshelf.

7 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Time to break out the lathe and turn some knobs?

Ross I would love to, but don't own a lathe and probably won't unless I can grow more space.  I don't have a horizontal surface it could live on available

Maybe just route a finger grove in the bottom edge of the drawer fronts?

I made the wenge drawer pulls on my son's desk with just a couple milling operations.  No templates required.