Better Late Than Never.........

Rex Edgar

I never officially introduced myself to the board. I sort of jumped in and began asking and answering ( if I was 100% sure of what I was offering).

I use my GSD's photo and name as my screen name and avatar. I don't consider myself ugly, just not special. I was introduced to woodworking in the seventh grade (maybe 1965-66). No power tools, only hand saws and chisels, hammers and nails. I got familiar with Plastic Wood, to cover the mistakes (those small enough). I went through a succession of schools because of changes in geography and manage to spend part of one semester in print shop (is that even available anymore?). I knew that wasn't for me early, dirty hands and the ability to read backwards. (Ironic, because what I finally settled on was auto repair). My first wife was a catalyst, ( Oh, Honey, you can do that!), she encouraged me to tackle general house repairs and modifications, (attic stairway was a comic event {only in hindsight}). I took to the love of tools because by then I was an apprentice mechanic and I learned the difference between quality tools and crap. At that time (mid-seventies) Craftsman hand tools were still a viable option if you made your living with them (tools). Craftsman has dropped way down as far as across the board quality, there are still some decent offerings, but you need to know what it is you want. Snap-On and MAc and to a degree MATCO were the tops of choice, with some specialty manufacturers providing tools fm specific applications. All that came to an end about ten years back when I was able to retire.

As I progressed through my chosen career, I still dabbled in the art of sawdust generation. In the late 1980's, I bought an old fixer-upper house that eventually was torn down for a nice, new and modern lay appointed dwelling. I remarried in 1998 and the new wife and I built the house while we lived in a to story garage I had built on the property. I contracted the big things (masonry, truss installation, roofing, rough plumbing, basic electrical service). I would have been happy to live over the garage, but the wife wouldn't hear that. I married very well as far as matching temperament, attitudes on important topics and so many other things. 

I enjoy some other hobbies as well, but there is something satisfying about cutting a smooth square piece of wood and matching it with another on equally square. I am full aware of my limitations on patience, (when it comes time to finish a project, it is very hard to stay focused). I have looked in to a few of the woodworking boards and find this one has enough variety in topics and personalities that it keeps my interest. (Attention span is another trait that wasn't generously in my DNA). 

Well this is becoming way too long and I will save some material for later manifestos........Thanks for letting me part of the group, Regards, Steve

• Like 2

On June 25, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Llama said:

So, your name isn't Rex? What is the world coming to? I guess... I'll call him Steve... Or does he like to be called Rex?Strex?Reve?Strexevey? 

How'd you do that? Don't tell me, I'll forget. If you need help posting pics, I'm your man?

Steve, welcome, this is a cool place to be, usually.

• Like 1