BC leg vise seized overnight.

Well I got it all loose. I let it sit overnight in penetrating oil then this morning; I wrapped a frozen gel pack against the screw and after about 20 minutes,  applied low slow heat from a torch directly to the nut. After about 90 seconds, there was an audible pop of the tension releasing and the screw backed right out.

I disassembled the unit and inspected the screw threads for any signs of ware. Took bedding foam to it and couldn't find and nicks or burs. The inside of the nut also was in good shape. I decided to reassemble it in a way that would hopefully give the best alignment.  I installed the top on the criss cross with the screw acetal bushing through the leg. I then held the nut on the back of the leg while screwing in this crew and sending the Chop Home. With the acetal bushing in place this gave me a different nut location by about an eighth of an inch once I finally got the nut on the leg moving very slowly and allowing the nut to find its natural home. I marked the location of the screw holes pre drilled then screwed it in again. Now the action seems much smoother and actually closes all the way when spun.

I assume that the stack up of slight errors paired with the close tolerances needed for the hardware to operate correctly was the major issue. I still have no idea how it was possible that the nut fully seized on the screw but now that it is off, I guess it doesn't really matter

19 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

"You have less work related stupidity plugging up your critical thinking."

I think I might just print this and put it over my office door and take it with me when I leave for the last time!

• Like 1