Cheap crap or anything worth while?

Wocket

Personally I'd avoid it based on the fact that for not much more you can get a brand name of better quality. For example, the Wen 14" band saw was $499. Grizzly (sorry Eric) has an equivalent for $435 and even with shipping you're about the same price. They have a better one for $555 plus shipping. Same with the other stuff in the list - you can buy better quality for about the same price. Just my .02. 

Are you trying to outfit your shop inexpensively or just looking for a couple of tools?

• Like 1

I'm just getting started looking to see whats out there and this popped up, I kind of figured after about 5 min of CL that these weren't that great of deals, personally I think the Depot bought them and are using the name like HF uses Chicago Electric or Lowes with Kobalt. Sorry to fill up the board with this junk but thank you for the info, much appreciated.

30 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

Would you allow an exception for a Dewalt 735? I think I might get one around Christmas time. Or should it be ordered online somewhere?

Yeah those units have a rock solid reputation.  I'm just speaking generally...there are always exceptions.

• Like 1

Eh, seems WEN is just a name, it's all white-label/OEM designs. In particular with bench-top bandsaws, there are only a handful of designs out there, with everyone buying from the same factory. The 10" models by Rikon, Craftsman, and WEN are all pretty much identical. WEN doesn't appear to be owned by Home Depot though, their stuff is sold in a few places (Amazon, Walmart, Sears)

With that being said, it seems like there are some good options under their umbrella. WEN does alright in the usual magazine comparisons, just not a lot to differentiate them. QA/QC is usually one of the first things to go in terms of cutting costs at this market level. So do your research, and remember the return policy. If you're going for a cheap/entry-level item like this, having a good return policy is a must. It's actually one of the reasons I still buy tools at Home Depot, it's much easier to process a return to them than anywhere I'd have to re-package and ship back.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with many of the tools Home Depot sells. Caveat... You will want to upgrade them at some point. I had a ridgid tablesaw, scms, planer and spindle sander. Not one problem with any of them. I may be the luckiest person on the face of the planet, but after a good setup they were more than fine.

Having said all of that, If you have the money and know you'll be with this hobby skip Home Depot and go for the same stuff everyone else has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The only Wen thing I have is an air cleaner hanging from my ceiling and it works ok for what I use it for... tools.. I'd stay away from, like the others said, at those prices, for slightly more you can get some quality tools that will last a lot longer. Just like harbor freight, you can find some useful things... but most of it is junk...  or slightly better than junk lol. 

46 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

Would you allow an exception for a Dewalt 735? I think I might get one around Christmas time. Or should it be ordered online somewhere?

I have one and love it.. and I rarely need anything bigger, when I do, I have a neighbor with a monster planer and drum sander. But other than that, the 735 does what I need it to.

Wocket, most of us began with entry level tools. As we learn more and refine our approaches we upgrade as we go. I think what most of us are saying is that even entry level tool prices aren't that much less than a better quality product. Still, whatever you can afford to get you started is great. Just start making stuff!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wocket said:

Is this just the Depot's version of Chicago Electric (IE Harbor Freight) or is any of this WEN stuff worth a second look at these prices, sorry you guys are the experts here and I'm not sure who else to ounce this off of?

Thanks

http://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/

Wen isn't a Home Depot brand... that's pretty much Ryobi and Ridgid.

Wen is just a company that bought an old name, and is selling rebadged generic Chinese equipment.   You'll see this stuff over and over with various brand names. Like that 10 in bandsaw is also sold by Rikon, Craftsman, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Grondin said:

The only Wen thing I have is an air cleaner hanging from my ceiling and it works ok for what I use it for

I have this same unit...I'm guessing for simple stuff like that it is fine, working ok for me for the last year or so.

I have also considered the WEN drill press, as it has been the 'best value' on a couple reviews I've read. But it is just an entry level drill press, nothing more...so if you're comparing it to other entry level stuff (Skill, Harbor freight, ryobi, etc) then it might work out ok. Just don't expect more.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Wen isn't a Home Depot brand... that's pretty much Ryobi and Ridgid.

Wen is just a company that bought an old name, and is selling rebadged generic Chinese equipment.   You'll see this stuff over and over with various brand names. Like that 10 in bandsaw is also sold by Rikon, Craftsman, etc.

I don't think Home Depot owns either of those brands, but they are the sole distributors of both. HD owns Husky, HDX, and a few other "in-house" brands. If you're ever interested in figuring out who owns what, Toolguyd did a nice roundup. It isn't focused on woodworking, but there's some interesting stuff. Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee are all owned by the same parent, but developed separately. Though Ridgid power tools are not developed by the actual Ridgid company, it's just a name licensing deal.