First real project, sapele cabinet to house Bearded Dragon, WoW themed

CandorLush

11 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I hope it can be partially disassembled to run wires and cut holes. I learned that any project that envolves installation of devices or technology demands pre planing and test fitting long before anything gets glued up. I learned that plumbers and electricians can destroy a cabinet so I read all the appliance install spec's and cut accurate holes .

Agreed, nothing but the inner box and the top has any glue and I won't be gluing it up until we are finished with the inner box so we have all of the wiring and lighting located and I can adjust as needed.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

I'm a bit confused. if you shaped them from 8/4 and didn't like it, why go buy all new material to build new legame, who not send them ungrounded the planer on their side,  bam.. 6/4 legs already shaped

It was definitely a consideration but the quality of the cut from the router bit was really poor so I didn't feel like I could salvage that piece. As for the rest of the stock I had, I was left with either having a ~3/8" thick board or throwing away a 1/2" of wood in the dust bin.

It just seemed easier and now I can use the 8/4 to make the second set of rails to end up with two finished cabinets.

• 1 month later...
Sorry, forgot to post the last few updates! I got the new legs finished, the top is cut to approximate size (after I took the picture)and I built the bottom doors.20161201_203439.jpg

This was my first time using veneer, I used titebond 3 and lots of clamps because that's what I have on hand. The "wet" pic is with some odorless mineral spirits wiped on. 20161216_192534.jpg

Here are the lower doors in the test fit

20161217_172946.jpg

Did some finish samples and dropped them off with my friends to pick which they want. Danish oil and shellac, danish oil and lacquer, arm r seal, and endurovar, left to right. 

20161206_190402.jpg

This is looking amazing ! What finish do you prefer out of four?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

This is looking amazing ! What finish do you prefer out of four?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I like the ARS a lot but the Danish oil and lacquer looks good too. The Endurovar showed too much of the red from the timbermate but I was also wiping it on. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question time!!! I need to figure out the shelf to fit in the lower section behind the veneered doors (the top will just have some notched cross members like a bed for the cage portion to slide on)

1) I have a piece of the ribbon stripe ply that is big enough but the grain is running front to back, not side to side

2) I have enough solid sapele to do the whole base with side to side grain. I would probably resaw it to 3/8"-1/2" and support underneath with secondary wood cleats

3) Since the shelf is only 6" off the floor, I could do a 6" strip of sapele along the front and a secondary wood for the rest, like a solid wood edge banding 

4) Obligatory something else