First real project, sapele cabinet to house Bearded Dragon, WoW themed

CandorLush

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The cabinet is looking awesome, man.  Are you at all concerned about weight capacity?  Those legs look fairly delicate.  They look good, but I wouldn't want too much weight on them...like if anyone ever tried to put a fish tank up there I'd have a heart attack.

The color of that sapele is fantastic.  It's so much better than African mahogany...in every way.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eric. said:

The cabinet is looking awesome, man.  Are you at all concerned about weight capacity?  Those legs look fairly delicate.  They look good, but I wouldn't want too much weight on them...like if anyone ever tried to put a fish tank up there I'd have a heart attack.

The color of that sapele is fantastic.  It's so much better than African mahogany...in every way.

Keep up the good work.

Well it is a bit too high, at 45", for that one idiot friend, who has decided all furniture can be a seat, to jump up on top. That and ...... *deep sigh* we still are planning on cutting holes in the top for the ventilation so I am hoping that will discourage too much heavy stuff. 

Thank you for the kind words and the look of the wood is really what is keeping me going on the project.

6 minutes ago, CandorLush said:

Well it is a bit too high, at 45", for that one idiot friend, who has decided all furniture can be a seat, to jump up on top. That and ...... *deep sigh* we still are planning on cutting holes in the top for the ventilation so I am hoping that will discourage too much heavy stuff. 

Thank you for the kind words and the look of the wood is really what is keeping me going on the project.

Have you explored other options, like potentially a sub-top with holes in it and building a gap between the sub-top and top for ventilation? Would be a shame to ruin that top....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Have you explored other options, like potentially a sub-top with holes in it and building a gap between the sub-top and top for ventilation? Would be a shame to ruin that top....

I am still trying to go that route, I am hoping that I can get it to keep the right temps with something like the quiet bearing PCI slot case fans, but I haven't been able to spend enough time to find ones that will work the way I need them to.

EDIT: Centrifugal fan, that seems to be the term I was needing. Link to amazon for one:  http://a.co/8NO8h97

10 minutes ago, mkrusen said:

Oh man bad memories in BWL. More wipes than I care to admit. The cabinet looks great and that sapele is magical. What look is your friend going for? Stormwind?

Gross, no, Orgrimmar  

2 hours ago, Derek_PNW said:

Wow! This is great! I am glad I stumbled across this! Now you're making me nostalgic and making me want to run Molten Core or BWL (can you tell how long ago I was playing).

Haha thanks, they redid them both recently for higher level players that were really cool.

• 4 weeks later...

This is looking great man, nice work. That sapele is beautiful. I agree with the others though, those legs look underpowered.

I used to have a bearded dragon, what a cool pet. He didnt do much but id let him loose in the backyard and hed climb to the top of the pool fence and sun bathe all day, freaking out visitors :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

On 3/2/2017 at 8:23 AM, sheperd80 said:

This is looking great man, nice work. That sapele is beautiful. I agree with the others though, those legs look underpowered.

Thank you, and that does bother me a bit, I scaled up the dimensions of the case but neglected to do the same on the legs, probably because I had blinders set on following the template that came with the article. Good lesson learned and, hopefully, it will only be an issue of looks.

If I had to venture a guess, another 3/8" in thickness each way would have evened it back out.