My workbench (yes, it's a Roubo)

SawDustB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally got a little shop time with being off for Christmas. I finished up my leg blanks, so now they just need to be cut to length and have joinery cut. The legs have ended up causing me some grief, but they've turned out OK.

9a4c59b603033151a303e945dfa364dd.jpg

I'm thinking 37 inches for the height. I'm 6'1", so I know that's a bit on the higher side, but it would make it the same as the table saw. I can always make it shorter later if it's a problem.

I did also manage to put the back slab through the planer. I finally just did it on my own, since I was having trouble tracking down help.

2ec7598508afc00eadef0ddf51df4c13.jpg

Next up is changing my planer blades, then doing a finish cut on most of the surfaces. At that point, I can either work on the front slab or build the base. Any opinions on the best order? I'm thinking the top, but that means I finally have to commit to the plans for the wagon vise.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll have to draw it out in SketchUp, but I know it'll work. I'm hesitant to cut into the top for the end vise, since at that point I'm committed.

I did get my second vise screw, a dowel making set, and the dog hole drilling setup today . There shouldn't be much more I need to buy to finish building. I still want to find a nice set of cast hand wheels instead of the bar for both vises. I've found nice ones, but have yet to find two different sizes that'll work and look good together.

For the leg vise,  a bigger hand wheel is nice.  For the end, I don't think it matters as long as it isn't above the top.

I want to find something in the 8-9 inch range for the leg vise, and ideally around 5 inches for the wagon vise. The only matching option I've found is hand wheels from grizzly, but they're not my favorite for looks.

eBay has lots of old stuff that might take some spit, polish, drill, and tap. 

That's where I've been looking, aside from locally or on Amazon. The problem is most of the US sellers want more to ship a hand wheel to Canada than it's worth. I did consider using a vintage valve hand wheel for the leg vise, which I think would look cool, but I'd want the wagon vise to at least sort of match.

Is Canada shipping that bad or are they just not wanting the hassle? Many of us here wouldn't mind shipping a single package to help you out. 

Like@drzaius said, it's a combination of things. It's not uncommon to have a $30 item with $50 total for shipping and customs off eBay. Depending on what it is, just the shipping via USPS may not be too bad, but Canada Post is expensive so it jumps when you cross the border. It's ridiculous that it's far cheaper to have goods shipped from Hong Kong than from Ontario or the US. I'm sure I'll find something, it just usually means being a lot more patient.

I do appreciate the offer, though. If I find something fantastic I can't get otherwise I'll keep it in mind.

44fda91f489be47c0c05f88c7428527b.jpg

I finished planing the slabs (and legs), and cut the front slab to length. I couldn't bring myself to do it with the circular saw, so my new carcass saw did the job instead. Pretty good, nothing left that the little block plane couldn't handle. I'm now at the stage where I have to figure out the vise before going further.

One thing I have noticed is that my front slab isn't 100% straight. Obviously there was a bit of tension when I did the glue up. It's not much, maybe max of 3/32" over the 6 foot span. The way I was going to position the slabs it comes out from the bench in the middle. Is this something I need to fix? I'll be going the hand plane route and using my #7 if it is. This seems like something I should correct now if I'm going to. I did also consider setting up my router with a straight edge, but that scares me a little to do on the outside visible edge.

• Like 1

So I haven't managed to get to the computer yet to use SketchUp... But here's my lovely artist's rendering of the end on view of the tail vise. The general idea is that there will be an L shaped wood block that will travel with the dog. Likely I'll make it by gluing the dog block to more wood to make it work. The runners will be uhmw plastic, and I bought some miter track for them to slide in.

5e6d432b07df2c2d8830100ef4894bce.jpg

My only concerns are that

1. A 1 1/4" thick section of the bench top won't be a problem.

2. The only way to install the track and runners is by removing the end cap.

3. I expect there will be a lot of minor adjustments required.

Anyone see any major problems?

I should note that I've also considered putting the runners at the bottom. They can't line up with the screw, since that won't give me enough wood to fasten them to. I can see pros and cons to both locations.