Another new toy!

Mick S

Just now, micks said:

Good idea!

Hey, if that thing ends up strapped to the roof with you holding it while you drive, you could be internet famous ;)

All kidding aside, I'm pretty sure it will fit.  Worst case is that you have to unpack it.  Good luck!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

It will be too heavy for one person to load, bring a friend. Otherwise, between the roof rack and the cargo area, you should be good. Bring good tie downs

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ABF said they would load it into the car. I'll have a good (270 lb.) friend on this end to help unload it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

So i got some good news today, wife said I can buy the drum sander next weekend:D    Does everyone suggest getting the table extensions for them?

I like the extension tables a lot, but they add to the footprint, big time, so make sure you have the space...mine have to hang from the wall and be re-attached if needed.

2 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

I like the extension tables a lot, but they add to the footprint, big time, so make sure you have the space...mine have to hang from the wall and be re-attached if needed.

So they don't like tilt up if not in use?  That would be a smart feature if they didn't, but yea I've got the room.  Figured they'd be needed running larger items through it. 

Looks sweet, was it very difficult setting up/calibrating?  Thought about asking the manager at woodcraft to set one aside for me for next weekend when their sale is so I don't have to leave my wife real early in the morning to go wait in line.  You know, make it sound sad so he feels sorry for me and helps me out haha.

19 minutes ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Looks sweet, was it very difficult setting up/calibrating?  Thought about asking the manager at woodcraft to set one aside for me for next weekend when their sale is so I don't have to leave my wife real early in the morning to go wait in line.  You know, make it sound sad so he feels sorry for me and helps me out haha.

Like so many others have said - the stand leaves a lot to be desired. The rest of it was a snap. I thought bolting the extensions on was a little awkward, but easy to adjust once they were on. It's a beast compared to the Performax 16-32 I was using. Much, much heavier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Is it easy to adjust it if it's not running parallel?  Saw the new Jet that was just introduced had some new way of adjusting theirs that didn't look bad.  Being new to drum sanders, don't know a whole lot about them yet.

Don't know yet. The 14" sample I ran through it this morning was within .003", so I'm not going to touch it. It does have a quick action lever for slightly raising the outboard side for doing panels wider than the drum without having a witness mark.

Maybe someone else that has had one longer and has needed to adjust it could step in.

If you ae talking about belt tracking, there are small captured wrenches for that adjustment.  You can see one of them here:

Supermax 19-38 (17).jpg

If you mean the platen to head alignment is the easiest I have seen on a small drum machine:

Supermax 19-38 (18).jpg

I have never had to readjust mine since the original alignment in 2013.

On 10/6/2016 at 1:36 PM, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Is it easy to adjust it if it's not running parallel?  Saw the new Jet that was just introduced had some new way of adjusting theirs that didn't look bad.  Being new to drum sanders, don't know a whole lot about them yet.

I can better answer your question now that I've been working with it a few days.  There a four hex head bolts and a spring tensioned nut on the outboard side for adjusting the conveyor parallel to the drum. 

IMG_1814.jpg

Loosen the four bolts and give the nut a slight turn. Retighten bolts and you're done. First try I was +/- .002" across the width of the drum. I'll take it!

• Like 1

On October 6, 2016 at 8:08 AM, micks said:

Installed! I'm gonna really love this thing.

I went ahead and put it on the stand, but will cut a new top for the HCM base I plan to mount it to permanently this weekend. The casters are a must for this machine. It's so much heavier than the old Performax machines.

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

Did you set that sucker up in your house? No shop deserves to be that cleanB)!