Stepping up my clamp game

byegge

This thread has turned surprisingly funny.

FWIW I am not a huge fan of parallel clamps either.  I spent a lot of money on Jet clamps and don't like them much.  I have mentioned that in a few different threads.  For solid wood furniture, I just don't find them to be ideal.  But to each his own.  

3 minutes ago, Mike. said:

This thread has turned surprisingly funny.

FWIW I am not a huge fan of parallel clamps either.  I spent a lot of money on Jet clamps and don't like them much.  I have mentioned that in a few different threads.  For solid wood furniture, I just don't find them to be ideal.  But to each his own.  

Doors. I hate pipes for entry doors. Rarely build/repair more than one at a time so I have two super longs a few other lengths. I have pipes, but they are not ideal for much. 

5 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Doors. I hate pipes for entry doors. Rarely build/repair more than one at a time so I have two super longs a few other lengths. I have pipes, but they are not ideal for much. 

I made entry doors in the early eighties.I also made 7' oak interior doors for the Kansas city library while in commercial. I used pipes and I-beams on one or both.

It's just a difference of opinion.

351ccd1b28a18b54972030291b8b68ce.jpg

I have exactly two parallel clamps. I only have two because one is even WORSE than useless. Yes, they are the 'cheap' blue ones from Lowes. They weigh a ton, and are not particularly easy to operate. They seem to do the job, but the only thing they do better than any pipe clamp or F clamp I own is to sit on the bench with the jaws up and ready to accept a part. And the 'cheap' I mentioned above has nothing to do with inexpensive. Based only on my experience, I can't justify another pair of parallels.

2 hours ago, BillyJack said:

That is a good deal.  Amazon is good for random good pricing on various sizes and kits of UniKlamps but, the 12" are pretty consistent.  I have a dozen of the 12" which is just about right for me.  I came across a deal for something stupid like $12 each for the 24".  24" is too long for the lightweight bar but, that didn't stop me from grabbing a bunch and cutting them down to 6" and 8".

I would pick them up for torsion tables we build at work but I'm purposely buying clamps that don't require a twisting motion for locking. $17.99 free shipping is reasonable for a  name brand clamp these days,

I bought a bunch of Kreg automaxx sliding bar clamps but really looking for a "deal of the day" on the Kreg 6" automaxx. 

On 11/25/2016 at 7:50 PM, BillyJack said:

I bought as many as I could. Stores don't carry anymore and I started hitting Amazon. I bought all the 12" I could. On;y seeing 4" on Amazon now....

I just put two and two together with Pony clamps shutting its doors and that they owned Jorg so that's why the clamps aren't around anymore.