Stepping up my clamp game

byegge

I talked to my woodcraft guy yesterday and they said that the black Friday clamp sale will include 12" 24" 31"  and a very limited number of the 40".

I hooked him up with my Sawyer to get free green wood for the high school shop class he teaches at so he's going to put 4 of the 12's and 4 of the 24's aside for me

Nice. Do the 18s ever go on sale? Ugh.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Don't get caught up in parallel clamps.

Look at what clamps do versus popularity of woodworkers. 

Clamps start as light,medium and heavy duty.

Figure out what things interest you and buy from there.

Don't be a victim of useless purchases....

Don't get caught up in parallel clamps?? Say what? Can you elaborate?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Don't get caught up in parallel clamps?? Say what? Can you elaborate?

I happen to be grateful that I have a bunch in my shop for the current project!  I certainly don't consider myself a "victim of useless purchases".. 

• Like 1

Had many,got rid of all but 4.I use them for dovetail drawers. Rarely on anything else. Look in professional shops how many do you see.There are so many versions of clamps that the parallel is limited depending on project, Cabinet shops  use I-beams or pipe clamps. Furniture makers use so many varieties that the parallel isn't their first choice for complicated glue ups. 

#1 Over time if used constantly they don't stay parallel.

#2 The plastic breaks if dropped. 

#3 The price

#4Constant twisting to close

#5 ,limited pressure

Had many,got rid of all but 4.I use them for dovetail drawers. Rarely on anything else. Look in professional shops how many do you see.There are so many versions of clamps that the parallel is limited depending on project, Cabinet shops  use I-beams or pipe clamps. Furniture makers use so many varieties that the parallel isn't their first choice for complicated glue ups. 

#3 The price

#5 ,limited pressure

Interesting, i make furniture and parallel clamps are almost always what I reach for first.

#1 my oldest bessey k bodies are 11-12 years old and are still parallel

#2 not one of my parallel clamps have any broken plastic and I have lost my mind while doing glue ups more than once and shot them across the room in a fit of rage

#3 you get what you pay for and I think they are well worth the price

#4 twisting to close??? Huh?

#5 never needed more pressure than these clamps offer. If you need more pressure, more likely than not, you have done something wrong somewhere.

On 11/15/2016 at 7:01 AM, CandorLush said:

What ever happened to those gear clamps that Jorgensen had at home depot for a bit? Those were the best 12" clamps I have ever used.

I bought as many as I could. Stores don't carry anymore and I started hitting Amazon. I bought all the 12" I could. On;y seeing 4" on Amazon now....

17 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

#3 The price

#5 ,limited pressure

You are missing something big here. Cabinet shops that use few clamps are often using interlocking sheet joinery and pin nails. This is not truly comparable to a lot of the joinery you see in furniture building. Also, pro shops that make solid wood panels have panel clamping systems that replace many clamps, but also run at exorbitantly higher price points. 

On 11/15/2016 at 7:01 AM, CandorLush said:

What ever happened to those gear clamps that Jorgensen had at home depot for a bit? Those were the best 12" clamps I have ever used.

I bought as many as I could. Stores don't carry anymore and I started hitting Amazon. I bought all the 12" I could. On;y seeing 4" on Amazon now....

7 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

You are missing something big here. Cabinet shops that use few clamps are often using interlocking sheet joinery and pin nails. This is not truly comparable to a lot of the joinery you see in furniture building. Also, pro shops that make solid wood panels have panel clamping systems that replace many clamps, but also run at exorbitantly higher price points. 

Not all shops use these methods or machinery. About 90% of shops use pipe clamps. 

18 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Interesting, i make furniture and parallel clamps are almost always what I reach for first.

#1 my oldest bessey k bodies are 11-12 years old and are still parallel

#2 not one of my parallel clamps have any broken plastic and I have lost my mind while doing glue ups more than once and shot them across the room in a fit of rage

#3 you get what you pay for and I think they are well worth the price

#4 twisting to close??? Huh?

#5 never needed more pressure than these clamps offer. If you need more pressure, more likely than not, you have done something wrong somewhere.

If their your choice you should use them. They wouldn't benefit me enough...

11 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

Not all shops use these methods or machinery. About 90% of shops use pipe clamps. 

Source material or made up forum stat? Do shops in my neighborhood not matter? To build what? Plywood and thin? I like my parallel for building stuff that is thicker than 3/4". I don't need to flip over and clamp from both sides. What you are building really matters no matter how you say it doesn't.