Elementary??

Brendon_t

What part of the quadratic equation is ELEMENTARY?  

My sixth grader just asked me for help with his math.. it looks like a bowl of alphabets got thrown up on paper. .

ax2 + bx + c = 0.. huh? 

Elementary:  of or pertaining to the most rudimentary aspect of a subject. 

I guess this is the time you realize,  my kid is smarter than me in something...

Thank heaven for google..

All it is is the area under a line with slope "a*2" that's been shifted up "b" units. The constant C is left over because working the other way the derivative of any constant is 0 there for at any point the area of an equation could have some constant that was lost.

The fact that it takes Calculus to explain it my answer would be nothing about the quadratic equation is elementary. I feel like this is a mean question that's partially a trick, it's like asking the angle of attack for your jointer knives. Who cares it cuts wood lets use it for that.

My FIRST GRADER brings home math that baffles me.  Not that the problems themselves are difficult, but the way they're worded makes no sense.  Things that I'd never even heard of...the "rule of doubles?"  What the hell?

Here's one...

"Using the rule of doubles, which two numbers equals 18?"

Uh, yeah I get what they're asking me, but how is a 6 year old supposed to understand that?  She said not a single kid in the class got it right.

On 11/10/2016 at 8:05 AM, C Shaffer said:

I see no question posted, just a blank format. The question could be lots of things at lots of levels. (Day job) 

The intention wasn't to solve an equation. intention was more venting that I felt dumb that I couldn't help with math hw since it is far from my day job. 

Full disclosure, I teach music. I tutor math because it is fun and follows concrete rules. I thrill at solving the puzzle challenges. It helps my career to be able to work in more than one subject area. I am not claiming that quadratics in elementary is wise. I am only saying that I know they are more and more pushing advanced concepts in front of students to do exploratory activities. Personally I did not do these things in elementary school and yet I do well enough.