Kerf maker

Rex Edgar

19 hours ago, ben_r_ said:

Looks like it, that thing is new though. Also looks like you have to have their clamps too. So its $60 to use that option. Personally Id still go with the Kerfmaker.

The shop made ones are more appealing to me as is the aluminum/bronze BCT model. 

20 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Can you not use this to size long dados, like for cabinet casework?  Every video I've seen has just been with it making half laps it seems.

As long as the required dado is within the maximum capable width of the Kerfmaker you can use it for any length dado you like. It doesnt have anything to do with the length of the dado, only the width.

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

Can you not use this to size long dados, like for cabinet casework?  Every video I've seen has just been with it making half laps it seems.

Watch the BCT video. For long dados they use it as a gauge on the rip fence instead of on a crosscut setting. Gives you the inner and outer cuts, you just clean it up.

• Like 1

Well, since I have a 3D printer myself, I may actually try to print some stuff out. In fact, the other thing I was planning on 3D printing a version of the Woodpecker's Tool Bar Gauge (inexpensive version from Rockler here: http://www.rockler.com/rockler-3-in-1-bar-gauge), but totally forgot about it. 

@Llama - Do you have rough dimensions of the KM-1 and the 3D printed one? I should be able modify the gigantic one to something a bit more reasonable in size.

1 hour ago, Al Capwn said:

Well, since I have a 3D printer myself, I may actually try to print some stuff out. In fact, the other thing I was planning on 3D printing a version of the Woodpecker's Tool Bar Gauge (inexpensive version from Rockler here: http://www.rockler.com/rockler-3-in-1-bar-gauge), but totally forgot about it. 

@Llama - Do you have rough dimensions of the KM-1 and the 3D printed one? I should be able modify the gigantic one to something a bit more reasonable in size.

You cant get all the precise dimensions of the original from the .easm eDrawings file I uploaded to my GrabCAD page and posted the link to earlier on the first page. eDrawings is a free viewing program from SolidWorks.

2 hours ago, ben_r_ said:

You cant get all the precise dimensions of the original from the .easm eDrawings file I uploaded to my GrabCAD page and posted the link to earlier on the first page. eDrawings is a free viewing program from SolidWorks.

Awesome - I will snag that and see about getting it converted into a slicer-friendly format and see how it prints out!

@ben_r_ - Haven't looked at it yet, but is there any way to split out the individual components of that 3d model?

Edit: Managed to export the items into STL from eDrawings. Now it is just a matter of seeing how well it prints out...

CuraKerfmaker.jpg

4 hours ago, Al Capwn said:

Awesome - I will snag that and see about getting it converted into a slicer-friendly format and see how it prints out!

@ben_r_ - Haven't looked at it yet, but is there any way to split out the individual components of that 3d model?

Edit: Managed to export the items into STL from eDrawings. Now it is just a matter of seeing how well it prints out...

CuraKerfmaker.jpg

Well if you need the parts broken into separate files or need the files in a different format let me know and Ill see what I can do.

@Al Capwn & @ben_r_,  I believe there is a Thingiverse thing for this.  The components should be already separated out in that download.  At that point it should be just a matter of setting the scale in the slicer.    If not, I'd think it's almost be easier to design it from scratch, given how simple the design is.  

There's actually 4 kerfmakers and 1 Tenonmaker listed:  http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=Kerfmaker&sa=

16 minutes ago, Marmotjr said:

@Al Capwn & @ben_r_,  I believe there is a Thingiverse thing for this.  The components should be already separated out in that download.  At that point it should be just a matter of setting the scale in the slicer.    If not, I'd think it's almost be easier to design it from scratch, given how simple the design is.  

There's actually 4 kerfmakers and 1 Tenonmaker listed:  http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=Kerfmaker&sa=

Yeah I noticed that - but I think that was the big one that @Llama had printed. I could scale it down, and re do the holes for the bolt sizes I'd want.

So far the mock up from @ben_r_ seems to be printing well. I just need to determine size of the set screws of the metal set screw inserts. Or just forgo the existing and tap new holes to the closest sizes.

20161228_103956.jpg

20161228_180707.jpg

This video has a simple jig for producing multiple kerfs at one time that may lend some insights, especially for making uniform length pieces even at angles other than 90 degrees.  The angles are controlled by the jig and the overlaid angled tool.  The depth of cut appears to be controlled by the magnetic strip on the saw.  The side stop is sacrificial.  The overall style is called "kumiko".

and part 2 showing more layouts:

• 3 weeks later...

I made the DIY version last weekend.  Although only good for one particular blade, it worked really well on a couple of test dados  Maybe a couple thousands too loose but leaves room for the glue.  While I was at it I batched out 3 more and will cut the kerf as required.