Kerf maker

Rex Edgar

On 12/17/2016 at 5:22 AM, Rex Edgar said:

I Envy your time, sir. The longest step I found was waiting for the glue to dry.

Either drzaius time must be much more valuable than mine or he must take a lot longer to build something like that.  I think mine took less time than I might have spent researching, ordering, and checking the tracking on the package.  Besides, I consider making stuff like that both fun and good for my mental well being. As far as the beauty of the object...  I actually find my walnut and maple one more pleasing than a factory made metal one.

None of that should be taken as implying that my way is the way everyone should go, but for me it was no contest.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pete Staehling said:

Either drzaius time must be much more valuable than mine or he must take a lot longer to build something like that.  I think mine took less time than I might have spent researching, ordering, and checking the tracking on the package.  Besides, I consider making stuff like that both fun and good for my mental well being. As far as the beauty of the object...  I actually find my walnut and maple one more pleasing than a factory made metal one.

None of that should be taken as implying that my way is the way everyone should go, but for me it was no contest.

I totally get your point of view here. But building one of those just isn't something that I want to do. I see it as a reasonable price for a beautiful & accurate tool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, collinb said:

I watched the video and was taken by whatever kind of saw used for cutting the coffee stirrers (near the middle of the video clip). Couldn't tell what it is.

It's called the JMP - Joint Maker Pro

25 minutes ago, ben_r_ said:

Ha thats funny that someone made a 3D printed copy. I wouldnt even bother with any knock offs, the real ones isnt that expensive and is WAY worth it.

It was too funny not to get one to see how bad they really are! 

18 hours ago, Llama said:

It was too funny not to get one to see how bad they really are!

Just like any other tool, it depends on who made it.  In our PM's we had, I didn't realize how poorly that thing was made.  I'm a huge proponent of 3d printing, but I doubt I would print this thing.  Considering how easy it is to make one out of scrap wood, there's no reason to print one.   And if I did print it, I would only print the blocks, none of the hardware.  The bolts and nuts would all be store bought.    And that cost... my god.   Estimating there is about 4m of material used in that print, my cost is roughly $0.44 for that thing.  

It all boils down to the right tool for the job.   If a cheap tool gets the job done quickly, easily, and to a quality level you're happy with, then it's the right tool. 

2 minutes ago, Marmotjr said:

And that cost... my god.   Estimating there is about 4m of material used in that print, my cost is roughly $0.44 for that thing.  

It's probably worth a few bucks as a gag... It's really not well done. The thing requires off the shelf bolts, there are two (or three) versions depending on which size hardware you want to use. M4 or M5 I think.

The problem with something like this is it has to be dead on, or it doesn't work. Wood moves, this plastic stuff isn't 100%... My biggest "complaint" on the printed one is the size. It's comical.

18 hours ago, Rex Edgar said:

While on the topic that includes Bridge City Tools, how about the 'Chopstick Master' in two variations. $195 and $249, respectively. No  way  am I throwing shade, but "really?"

Ha I saw that chopstick thing and though WTH?! Is that a THING? People make chopsticks?!

5 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

We have several happy owners of those kits here at WTO.

I believe it. Still, didnt know it was something people wanted to do.

That said the other interesting point is that BCTW charges $250 for the plane (LINK) by itself yet they include it in their $200 chopstick making kit (LINK). Odd.

1 minute ago, ben_r_ said:

I believe it. Still, didnt know it was something people wanted to do.

That said the other interesting point is that BCTW charges $250 for the plane (LINK) by itself yet they include it in their $200 chopstick making kit (LINK). Odd.

Yeah...

17 hours ago, Immortan D said:

Actually those sets are one heck of a deal if you consider the price tag on the block plane alone ;)

8 minutes ago, MisterDrow said:

I feel like I must have one of these Kerfmakers... I had no idea they existed and I can already see how many issues it will alleviate for me. Too bad the Christmas budget is blown... 

Don't worry, they aren't shipping yet and it's only $7 to get on the list.  LOL 

• Like 1