Height Gauge

JerryD

Good morning all,

My dad is asking for a height gauge for Christmas. He is going to be using this to set the table saw and router table. He has a digital and dial caliper, but he wants a specific "height gauge" to help him with the previous tools. Now, here's the catch. He also stated that he did not want the Wixley gauge due to poor reviews. I looked on Amazon, and the reviews all seemed reasonable. Does anyone have thoughts and/or experiences that they would like to share?

Many thanks!
Jerry

Personally I use set up blocks for setting all my machines and routers and for all sorts of other stuff. Its as accurate and more practical. I use these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=45089&cat=1,43513,51657

With these sets and the 1,2,3 block there isn't much you can't do in terms of setup.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can you follow up and ask where he read the bad reviews?

I wouldn't buy him something totally different, like the setup blocks, without talking to him ahead of time...not saying they aren't good, but it will be hard to convince him he needs them if he doesn't figure it out on his own first ;) Don't ask me how I know...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I have the one by iGaging and wish I had bought the Wixley or better. It works but is kinda fussy to use.

I also have an iGaging and it works OK but, the fact that it is plastic bothers me. However, I have not had a problem with it.

I also have one without a name on it. I has a heavy steel base that is not magnetic but works well.

They both are digital and will switch from inches to mm with just a click of the button.

I use both a Wixey and brass setup gauges, depending on the situation. The brass gauges are great. However, in some operations where I need a measurement and know that I will need that measurement again later, I'll use the Wixey to be as precise as possible. If you've ever used a router to cut dovetails and had to come back later and replace a part, using the Wixey and keeping good notes on the cutter height can save a lot of time.

-E

All,

EXCELLENT information all around. Thank you for the time. Gee-Dub, I love the idea. I wish I would have known this was on his wish list sooner! Those are amazing. I agree with the use of the setup blocks...I use them frequently. He definitely wants something more in line with the Wixley. I'll keep you all updated. 

Jer