Cherry Wall Cabinet

wnaziri

5 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Wade, isn't that called a bridle joint on the door? and how did you make it? just curious as i'm getting close to making the doors on the cabinet i'm building.  thanks

@treeslayer You are correct.  I just consulted my handy-dandy Rogowski Joinery book and they are officially called corner bridle joints.  Thanks for catching my error.

As to how I did it: I used my table saw.

8 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

It does appear to be a bridle joint; my preferred joint for floating panel doors.

Why's that GD? Do you think it superior to the strength of a joint made using rail and stile bits on the router table?

I ask because I'm making some mitered bridle joints on a door right now.

Looks great. I have the cherry set aside for this same build. Did you recess the back panel far enough to fit the cleat flush with the back edge or did you follow the plans and add the thin strips to "extend" the back out? At least how I remember it. 

7 hours ago, Brum said:

Looks great. I have the cherry set aside for this same build. Did you recess the back panel far enough to fit the cleat flush with the back edge or did you follow the plans and add the thin strips to "extend" the back out? At least how I remember it. 

I did not follow the plan.  I placed the cleat deep enough to make it functional.  If the plan does call for an "extension", I would be reluctant to do so.  I wonder how it would look having an appendage.  I think the side view of the piece is really beautiful and I would not want to alter it.