Hose! My kingdom for a hose!

Elroy Skimms

So I have a Festool Domino 500 and a Ridgid vacuum. I also have every hose adapter Home Depot sells, the Festool shop vac adapter, and a 1 1/2"-2 1/4" adapter from Woodcraft. There is no combination of these devices that will allow me to connect the Domino to the Ridgid vacuum.

Vacuum Adapters.jpg

I'm sure it can be done without duct tape, but I don't know which parts to order online. The problem is that Ridgid's smaller vacuums use a non-standard 1 7/8" hose. But the connector on the hose doesn't actually measure 1 7/8", not the inside diameter or the outside diameter, and I can't find anything that fits except the adapters Home Depot sells. But I have those already. Ridgid's larger vacuums (and Shop Vac brand) use 2 1/2" ID connectors.

Possible solutions:

1. The Woodcraft 2 1/4" adapter is 2 1/2" OD, so I can get a 2 1/2" shop vac coupler and buy a new vacuum with the standard size hose and throw away my Ridgid.
  2. Buy one of those really long universal adapters.
  3. Buy a Festool dust collector
  4. ?

Options 1 and 2 would both require 8-10" of adapters attached to the Domino which would make it rather unwieldy. Option 3 is not financially feasible. Which brings me to Option 4. Those of you who have a Domino (or other smaller Festool) attached to a shop vac, which combination of hoses and/or adapters do you use to make this work?

-E

1 minute ago, Woodenskye said:

Mel is right

:) 

1 minute ago, Woodenskye said:

The final thing, and this may cost a few bucks more, but bite the bullet and buy a festool vac.

You're going to buy it eventually anyway... Just get the CT26. It comes with a hose! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Llama said:

Buy the Festool hose. If you want to save money, buy the bosch hose that is like the festool hose. I think its bosch...

Which hose? The Festool website shows 18 hoses, all in metric. I don't know which size will connect the Ridgid on one end and the Domino on the other.

Please don't make me do math.

I don't want to do math.

1 minute ago, hawkeyestoob said:

Here it is Bosch hose link. If you watch you can got it for around $20 every once in a while. 

Will this hose connect directly to the odd-sized Ridgid or do I need to buy a new vac too?

-E

6 minutes ago, Llama said:

You're going to buy it eventually anyway... Just get the CT26. It comes with a hose! 

Let's pretend for a moment that my budget has room for the CT26 (which it doesn't). I would need to buy adapters to connect my Dewalt and Porter Cable sanders. Or I'll have to get new Festool sanders too. It's like that book, "If you give a mouse a cookie" but for woodworkers. "If you sell Elroy a Festool..."

-E

Just now, Elroy Skimms said:

Or I'll have to get new Festool sanders too.

You should want to buy the Festool sanders... :) 

I started with the Domino, then needed a hose for my vac. I bought the bosch hose. Then I bought a sander... Bought the CT, then a bunch more stuff.... It really is better.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hawkeyestoob said:

That I am not certain of. I can tell you that it works well with my shopvac.

So that's a no-go for my Ridgid due to its non-standard size. But buying the hose and a new (small) shop vac is still far more affordable than buying the CT26. I could by 4 hoses and 4 shop vacs and 4 dust deputies for the price of 1 CT26.

-E

7 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

The hose is 27 mm, which is basically 1 1/4 inch hose end.  The other end should fit right into the ridgid.

I've ordered the hose. If it doesn't fit the Ridgid, I'll get a small shop vac from Lowes and be done with the non-standard Ridgid crap.

Thanks all for the help!

-E

22 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Woodcraft and rockler both sell a universal small port hose that adapts to the rigid vac on one side and the domino on the other.  It's about 20. Problem is you can't control suction. 

Any chance you have a link for the Woodcraft item? The store manager didn't suggest it and a quick search for universal hose didn't come up with results.

-E

46 minutes ago, Elroy Skimms said:

Any chance you have a link for the Woodcraft item? The store manager didn't suggest it and a quick search for universal hose didn't come up with results.

-E

I don't have a linkbut have one sitting idle in my shop since I bought the CT vac. If you want it,  pay shipping and I'll send it your way. 

• Like 1

When I needed to connect hoses to odd sized tool outlets I went to the plumbing dept at my local lumberyard and picked up several kinds of fittings. I was able to connect everything I needed to.

A simple 1" x 1 1/4" reducer let me hook my 1 1/4" shop vac hose to my hand planer.

A 2.5" hose coupler, 1.5" pipe coupler, 1.5" pipe, 2" x 1.5" reducer, and a special 2" x 1.5" reducer lets me connect a 2.5" hose to my dust deputy.

502.jpg

503.jpg

504.jpg

501.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Derek_PNW said:

Have you tried these adapters from Rockler?

http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-universal-small-port-hose-kit

No, but I think that might be the item @Brendon_t was talking about from Rockler. I couldn't find the Woodcraft equivalent else I would buy it locally. He might be shipping me his hose. If not, I'll probably end up buying one of my own from Rockler. I prefer Woodcraft only because there is a store here in town and I don't have to wait for shipping.

-E