A Bathroom Cabinet

bushwacked

11 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

If you have a decent drill press euro concealed hinges might work well for you. Figure out how much the hinge edge of the door overlaps the face frame. Then measure the amount the face frame hangs in from the side. I would be glad to walk you through the set up to drill the 35mm cup holes. They make those hinges with the soft close feature built in to them.

oh wow, that would be awesome!! I have a floor standing Delta drill press. 

I would need to measure tonight when I get home ... my face frame is 1 1/2 wide ... I am thinking of running my doors 1" from the edge. so that would give 1/2 overhang. I am not 100% though ... I may back it off to 3/4" from the edge and that would give 3/4 overhang. I guess it all depends on the hinge.

2 minutes ago, Chet K said:

This would make a great tutorial video Steve. :)

I agree with Chet .. 

14 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

You do realize that shifting the overlay will change the gap between the doors in the center ? I usually aim for 1/8 to 3/16 gap between a pair of doors. Most euro hinges have adjustments side to side, up and down and in and out. 

Yes, I know it will change the gap, but this is a big cabinet so I was debating on how close it actually needed to be.

ok, I will probably keep it around the 3/16 or so gap

So here's where I am at.

fcc981d88873ae34b1d9593ea605e2f4.jpg

There is 7/8" overhang. Not sure why I was going for a 3/4 but guess I mathed it up wrong. The face frame is 3/4 thick if that matters.

Got the face frame sanded before I started messing with the doors. Next I'll round over everything with a 1/8" bit. Then start plotting install for the doors.

Thoughts on hinges or where I am at with doors to install hinges?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

so as far as hinges go ... with my weird overhang measurement does that limit me on the hinges I can use? Should I try to trim up the doors a little to get them a little smaller? 

Rebuild the doors? lol 

Thoughts?

It's a full overlay, I think euro style hinges are your best choice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Yes, you will need something like that in the first pic. The problem is the frame on your doors is a bit on the narrow side, so a regular euro hinge for frameless doors wouldn't work IMO.

the frame is 2" wide and 3/4" thick ... if that makes a difference. Or do you still consider that too narrow?

Got wrappped up finishing a big order.

The Blum 39c358b.20 hinge will work better than the first picture but that particular hinge is for a 1 1/4" overlay. You would need one that was 7/8" overlay, or trim the door width ever so slightly on both edges so they still match and use a 5/8"to 3/4" overlay hinge which is common.

The exposed oil rubbed bronze hinges will work if you like that look.

• Like 2

Those no mortice hinges give the traditional exposed barrel with decorative ends appearance and adjustability. One leaf has vertical adjustment the other has horizontal. There is one round hole in each leaf that you use once the doors are adjusted to keep them from slipping out of place.

• Like 2

every little bit helps toward the end goal, nice work. flush trim bit to even out the top edge or something else?

Yep flush trim bit. Easiest and quickest way I know.

Those no mortice hinges give the traditional exposed barrel with decorative ends appearance and adjustability. One leaf has vertical adjustment the other has horizontal. There is one round hole in each leaf that you use once the doors are adjusted to keep them from slipping out of place.

Thanks for the explanation Steve that helps a lot!

In your case the hinge would be in between the door and the face frame. I would do a test run mounting the hinge between 2 pieces of scrap first. Then you will have an idea what to do. This application will limit the swing to around 90 degrees. Those oil rubbed liberty hinges will give you at least 180 degrees of swing but they need to be installed carefully(no adjustments) 

14 hours ago, wdwerker said:

In your case the hinge would be in between the door and the face frame. I would do a test run mounting the hinge between 2 pieces of scrap first. Then you will have an idea what to do. This application will limit the swing to around 90 degrees. Those oil rubbed liberty hinges will give you at least 180 degrees of swing but they need to be installed carefully(no adjustments) 

hmmmm ... I am thinking I will need something that has a little wiggle room in them judging by the test fit. Everything is not lining up 100% like I was hoping.

So I would need to move to the Euro style to get that ability to make slight adjustments?