venting dust collector into the attic?

byegge

So I just finished putting together my new harbor freight dust collector and plan on adding cyclone.  My question is, is there any reason i cannot vent the dust collector into my attic. I dont store anything up there and the attic itself is vented. Would there be some sort of static charge build up or something. Cant say that I have seen anyone talk about or do this. Thanks in advance for any response.

Brian. 

• Like 1

So I just finished putting together my new harbor freight dust collector and plan on adding cyclone.  My question is, is there any reason i cannot vent the dust collector into my attic. I dont store anything up there and the attic itself is vented. Would there be some sort of static charge build up or something. Cant say that I have seen anyone talk about or do this. Thanks in advance for any response.

Brian. 

Honestly venting anything into an attic space is bad idea. While they are rarely used spaces they are functional part of your home and provide balance for your IAQ. Please just vent it outside and save yourself a major headache.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would certainly not vent into my attic.  Try to remember the path of air - if you're sucking air out of the house (main parts of the house) and pumping it into the attic, then the air from the attic will be drawn into the house.  If any dust makes it up there, as Steve said it would coat everything - and then get pulled back into the house.

Venting outside is a better option IMO, but remember that it wll suck  in cold or hot air (depending on the season), possibly impacting your heating/cooling. 

Summary:

DO NOT VENT TO THE ATTIC (or crawl space, if you were considering that.)  Ok to run venting conduit through the attic, of course.

Venting outside is good; remember to check on the bin periodically.  I would also keep track of the area around your vent.  Houses cause interruptions (and hence "eddies") in the local wind direction.

This raises issues you may not have considered:  What fixtures are available for a through wall conduit of your proposed size?  Where will the replacement air come from?  Will you be evacuating warm air from your shop and replacing it with cold air (and vice versa?)

• Like 2

It is an un air-conditioned garage. Will mostly have the door open when in working in the garage. I live in Orlando FL so it never really gets cold here. I think I will vent outside right near my dryer vent. Will have to redesign my system but that's fine because I haven't purchased anything yet. Thanks for advice 

• Like 2