Coffee Table

..Kev

12 hours ago, TIODS said:

We did uses those blocks initially but, they were slipping under the pressure.  It would have helped if we'd of used some CA glue.  The way we did the clamping did a nice job of pulling the joint together and didn't take it out of square.

Another note on this is that we saw that there was no slippage in the miter because of the dominos.  So we were able to clamp it in a way to just force the miter together.  But like Kev said next time could provide another challenge that would create the need for blocks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

Maybe I missed it since I watched at like 2am (working EU hours) butnyou said the end was bad but you put a wenge strip and glued it back and it was fine? What was bad with it? Or what did I miss?

Looking awesome so far!!! Learning as always from you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just one of those areas that needed repair that didn't hold up..  It was just a bit too far gone.  We put the strip in because the grain didn't match up by the time we got everything cleaned up and square.  In other words, turning a flaw into a feature.  We considered a couple other options but, this was ultimately (IMO) best for the piece.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Kev, the finished project turned out awesome!  Glad the family situation turned out well.  I forgot, was this a commissioned piece or for your house?

This was a commissioned piece and will stay here in California when I leave..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

That slab looks beautiful with finish on it.  Quick question: how come the wenge piece on the vertical portion doesn't create cross grain problems?  Apologies if this was addressed in the videos and I missed it. 

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question..  The thickness of that strip is (roughly) the same as we had to remove to get those edges cleaned up so that the grain would match.

If you're referring to the differences in the grain for the glue up, that's one of the main reasons we used the domino.  Improved glue surface.  And, it's additionally tied together with the wenge foot piece across the bottom.  So, is it a perfect scenario? No.  However, I think we did about all we could to to achieve the best outcome.

• Like 1

I think Brian is asking about the glueup of different woods causing issues in regards to movement. As dissimilar woods move at different rates, how is this not going to see issues? What was done to mitigate potential movement issues? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I think he's asking about the strip of wenge attached to the bottom of the waterfall slab end.  That's a long grain-to-end grain joint...the slab part will expand and contract but the wenge won't.

Yes thanks I wasn't very clear or specific. The dangers of posting while watching tv :). That's what I was asking about. 

6 minutes ago, Llama said:

I think Brian is asking about the glueup of different woods causing issues in regards to movement. As dissimilar woods move at different rates, how is this not going to see issues? What was done to mitigate potential movement issues? 

2 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

Yes thanks I wasn't very clear or specific. The dangers of posting while watching tv :). That's what I was asking about. 

Gotch ya..  I thought he was referring to the vertical strip..

The wenge on the bottom is fairly thin so, nothing was done to account for any movement there.  The table lives in a climate controlled house so, any movement there should be minimal at best.  If it moves and creates an issue in the future, I'm sure I'll be working down here again and will take care of it for them but, I really don't see it being an issue.

• Like 1

my house is climate controlled.  The temp is constant (70F year round) but RH, the silent killer, is not.  25% RH in winter, 65% in summer.  You can not fight physics.

That is not directly related to your table, I don't watch youtube so I haven't seen what the guys are referencing.  But "climate control" does not make wood move less.  In fact, in my climate, wood will move less in an unconditioned house because wood stops taking on moisture as the temp approaches freezing.  

Now in California the temp and RH might be constant enough to throw caution to the wind.  

Yea Mike, here in California temp and RH can be a pretty boring conversation.  I still pay attention to proper thinking for movement but you can almost ignore it.  Kind of like when Marc was in Arizona.  If I up and moved to the mid west with a lot of you guys I could have some surprises on my hands.  I could be humming the tunes of Twisted Sister.

• Like 1

The SketchUp drawing of that leg configuration did not do a worthy job of conveying your vision.  It turned out just beautiful.  The finished product is beyond what I expected (not to imply that I don't expect great things from you) and is really quite stunning.  This is a great example of where one has to just trust the craftsman; he knows where he's going. Very well done.  Kudos all around.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

The SketchUp drawing of that leg configuration did not do a worthy job of conveying your vision.  It turned out just beautiful.  The finished product is beyond what I expected (not to imply that I don't expect great things from you) and is really quite stunning.  This is a great example of where one has to just trust the craftsman; he knows where he's going. Very well done.  Kudos all around.

Thank you sir!  

• 3 years later...