The rising price of old woodworking tools

TerryMcK

I get occasional emails in my inbox from online dealers of second hand or pre-owned tools. I'm mainly interested in woodworking tools but these dealers also have tools from other crafts.
A couple of years ago (2015) the price of these were acceptable but due to the popularity driven by woodworkers to get hold of, for instance, old Stanley or Record hand tools the prices in the UK in 2017 are rocketing. A real case of supply and demand dictating the prices.
Now some of the lesser used tools are at the point of being the same or more than their modern day brand new premium tools like Lie Nielsen or Veritas (assuming that LN and LV are producing their version of those models). I recognise that dealers still have overheads to run their websites, have warehousing costs, wages to pay etc so they do have a mark up.

I have a fair selection of tools, old and modern (bought in the "golden age" of buying a few short years back) so I no longer have the need to collect. However if I was in the market for a speciality plane like a #95 Edge Plane (not that I am BTW :D) I think I would buy a new Lie Nielsen one rather than spend more on a vintage Stanley. I don't think I would use the Stanley, instead treating it with reverence and it would end up in a display cabinet. Of course if that is what you yourself want to do then go ahead. I like to use tools for what they were designed for - work.

That's not to say there are no bargains left to pick up. There are other websites where individuals can still sell their grandfathers rusting #4s and old chisels for a few bucks. Craigslist and Preloved both spring to mind. eBay of course can be a nightmare as you have to bid against somebody else (unless it has a fixed Buy It Now price) and may end up paying more than you should - auctions are always like that if you don't preset a budget and never exceed it.

So if you are in the market for relatively cheap pre-owned tools best to scour sites like the ones mentioned, yard sales or flea markets rather than going to a dealer.

I'd be interested to hear if you have similar experiences of rising old tool costs in your countries.

• Like 1

I've been looking for a Stanley 113 for a while now (not aware of any modern makers of this model), but any of them in good condition are ridonkulous.  I'm not into restoration.  They want $300-400 for a Type 1 that's not rusted to hell.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Stanley 113

Yep.

For the most part, I don't get into vintage tools anymore. There was a time that I bought them, fixed them up and used them... But if there is a modern equivalent, I tend to buy that. I have seen the price of Stanley 45s and 55s go up though. For a long time I was looking for a set of hollow/rounds for under 2K for the 45.

• Like 1

Just now, Llama said:

But if there is a modern equivalent, I tend to buy that.

Same.  If LN made a #113 I'd happily pay $300 for it.  No way for a tool that's gonna take me a week to get working right...if I ever get it working right.  They should make it.

Always wondered who would pay $100-200 for a record 71 router plane. The machining and features on the veritas model are so nice i cant imagine wanting a 100 year old model. Im sure the bedrock bench planes are as nice as the LV or LN counterparts, but the prices dont compel me to purchase them. I would much rather buy second hand LV and LN stuff. As your post suggests, the age of vintage plane bargains has come and gone.

5 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I'd be interested to hear if you have similar experiences of rising old tool costs in your countries.

Yes, it's getting pretty bad here too. There's not much sense in looking for cheap old tools around here. It doesn't matter if it's a store, a yard sale, antique auctions, or what have you. The word is out that grandpa's grimy old tools are worth a pretty penny.

Also, some designer must have decided that wooden body planes make good nick-knacks for rustic interiors, cuz these days I can't even find the most clapped-out wooden bench plane you've ever seen for less than 50-80 USD. 

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

I've been looking for a Stanley 113 for a while now (not aware of any modern makers of this model), but any of them in good condition are ridonkulous.  I'm not into restoration.  They want $300-400 for a Type 1 that's not rusted to hell.

Tommy Mac has one :)

Yeah I agree that I'm shocked LN doesn't make one.  Or Veritas for that matter.  They seem to make a widget for literally any conceivable purpose.

3 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Yes, it's getting pretty bad here too. There's not much sense in looking for cheap old tools around here. It doesn't matter if it's a store, a yard sale, antique auctions, or what have you. The word is out that grandpa's grimy old tools are worth a pretty penny.

Also, some designer must have decided that wooden body planes make good nick-knacks for rustic interiors, cuz these days I can't even find the most clapped-out wooden bench plane you've ever seen for less than 50-80 USD. 

Interesting. I also have seen old wooden bodied planes (without any blades in) adorning shelves in pubs over here.

34 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Always wondered who would pay $100-200 for a record 71 router plane. The machining and features on the veritas model are so nice i cant imagine wanting a 100 year old model.

Because you're thinking like a woodworker and not a collector.  Collectors are the reason woodworkers can't find these things at affordable prices.  Which is why collectors should be dragged out back and given the Lenny treatment.  I've never understood "collecting" solely as an activity unto itself.

Judging by the members in my local woodworking club, 60% of them are almost strictly tool collectors.  They don't actually do any projects - or very few.

I had the opportunity to visit Highland Woodworking/Hardware in Atlanta this week.  They have many of the upper brands for most tool categories.  In the store, they carry Lie-Nielsen (almost unheard of now), Veritas, Ariou, Bad Axe, Blue Spruce, extensive Festool area, etc, etc.  

They had these beautiful, giant axes - they looked like something you'd see being used to behead someone in a medieval movie.  $600 or so apiece.  I asked the salesperson what one would do with such a large axe.  He said that there are people who collect axes.  They buy $600 axes and put them on their wall.

To each his own.

I went to an estate sale in Dallas - the woodworker had passed away and his widow was selling the contents of his shop.  He probably had 50-60 hand saws - mostly Disston.  The Internet has opened up a whole world of collecting.  It has made it easier to sell these tools and get top dollar.  I'm always amazed when I see used Lie-Nielsen items going for 5-10% off retail on EBay.  I enjoy the experience of dealing with Lie-Nielsen - I'd rather pay slightly more and get something new, sharp and ready to go out of the box.

Even in the relatively short time I've been woodworking, I've also noticed this. You can still get the workhorses (#4, #5) for a reasonable price, though anything with a Stanley stamp gets a price bump. The unusual stuff though, those are hard to find and expensive as hell.

I like to trawl the local antiques market, mostly just for fun. Wood bodied and transitional planes always cost more than the metal-bodied ones, more demand as decoration. I haven't noticed movement in chisels though, those appear to remain the domain of woodworkers.... At least until someone on Pinterest or HGTV finds a cute way to decorate with them. Perhaps in a rustic vase? Of course, they're usually pitted beyond use.

4 hours ago, SeventyFix said:

I had the opportunity to visit Highland Woodworking/Hardware in Atlanta this week.  They have many of the upper brands for most tool categories.  In the store, they carry Lie-Nielsen (almost unheard of now), Veritas, Ariou, Bad Axe, Blue Spruce, extensive Festool area, etc, etc.  

Craftsmans Studio is a few miles up the highway from me, they carry full line of Lie-Nielson. I love going in there. Only problem is they are only open Mon-Fri. The owner will come in on a Saturday if you are making a significant pruchase

The three new planes that I own are here because the old versions cost more-hinge mortise, shooting, and edger.  I have one of each and multiples of some models of bench planes, but all were bought back before collecting became so popular, and I never bought one that needed much work on it.  If the iron was pitted, I didn't buy it, and if the iron wasn't pitted, the rest of the plane was in decent shape.  I don't know, or care, which type number they are.  I just needed them to work.

For the rare times I need a compass plane, the Record 020 model works just fine.  I've come close to buying a 113 a couple of times, but when it came down to it, I couldn't justify spending the money.

I hit gold on Craigslist exactly once. I bought a whole collection off a guy who realized his users were but a few. As I work, I will part with several that have little value for me. I will not try to make more than users are worth unless I find a true gem of a collector.