Good woodworking books for beginners?

Hello all,

Your help and feedback have been an immense help, thank you all so much.

That being said, would anyone recommend a good woodworking book or two that might help a beginner? I know the internet and youtube have endless videos for that, but sometimes I like a good book to refer back to.

Thanks in advance,

- John

• Like 1

My suggestions as a fellow neophyte:

USDA (2007) The encyclopedia of wood

I have a hard copy, but I think you can get this online.  This has a section on characteristics of different species as well as an understanding of hard and softwoods in general.  You want this.

-------------

Korn, Peter (2003) Woodworking Basics

Exactly that.  I found it useful; maybe there are even better books.

-------------

Jackson, A. et al. (1989) The complete manual of woodworking.

Includes basics of wood, design (very helpful if you want to modify a set of plans), joinery techniques, and more.  

------------

Flexnor, Bob (2005) Understanding wood finishing

Has been very helpful to me in understanding the choices, how to use and why.

• Like 2

Pondhockey, I recommend you start reading Woodsmith magazine.  I believe you can get all their issues online.  I used this source (long before the Internet) to learn about woodworking skills.  The directions are very clear and they have excellent projects both simple and complex that teach all the proper ways to construct quality pieces and tool use.  They provide very detailed plans and step by step instructions and they provide wonderful jigs that every woodworker needs to learn.  Check it out!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Pondhockey, I recommend you start reading Woodsmith magazine.  I believe you can get all their issues online.  I used this source (long before the Internet) to learn about woodworking skills.  The directions are very clear and they have excellent projects both simple and complex that teach all the proper ways to construct quality pieces and tool use.  They provide very detailed plans and step by step instructions and they provide wonderful jigs that every woodworker needs to learn.  Check it out!

Thanks for the tip.  I do subscribe to Fine Wood Working online, which has been very helpful, I'll check out Woodsmith.

• Like 1

Nobody wants to mention: http://www.twwstore.com/product/hybrid-woodworking ?

Well worth it in it's own right, and helps support Marc and the site.

Marc mentions Hybrid Woodworking in his video and has a direct link in the video description along with Amazon links to all of the other books he mentions. This is where I got my first Krenov book.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

Marc mentions Hybrid Woodworking in his video and has a direct link in the video description along with Amazon links to all of the other books he mentions. This is where I got my first Krenov book.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I figured that might be the case, but thought the specific mention of his book would be nice :)

• Like 2

Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual is one of my go to books. Info on tools, techniques, timbers, finishes, style, ergonomics...you name it, it could be in there. It also has some excellent diagrams that show styles of furniture and methods of joinery for that particular piece.

I got mine for about $20 off eBay. Having a look now, you could pick it up for less than $10. Well worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Collins-Complete-Woodworkers-Manual-By-Albert-Jackson-David-D-9780004140056-/311858195075?hash=item489c326a83:g:1aoAAOSwuMZZArqL

• Like 1

Knowing the type of stuff you want to pursue will help us get you better answers.  If you want to re-do your own kitchen, a book on Queen Anne styles will be pretty useless.  If you are looking to build chairs, a book on the Joys of Pocket Hole joinery is not going to help you.

If you are looking for beginner basics, you will find authors that focus on power tools and those that focus on hand tools, some do a fair job of speaking to both.

You will find different authors speak to different people.  A Barnes and Nobel or the public library could give you a preview before you op[en your wallet. Some 'basics' books I found of value:

Joinery / Rogowski

Router Joinery / Rogowski

Cabinet Construction / Rae

A trial subscription to Fine Woodworking Online can yield a wide variety of articles and videos, most very well done, on drawers, hand tools, carcass constructions, doors, wall cabinets, beds, etc.  All involve methods that will help you hone your skills.  Marc's free videos carry a lot of valuable info as well.

As in any field, the boos promising "professional result in a weekend" or "master woodworking overnight" are not really going to help you if you are looking at a long term relationship with the craft and want to turn out something a cut above Crate and Barrel.  On the other hand, if you are after quick-n-dirty, there are books out there for that too.

• Like 2

Check out books at Lee Valley, Highland Woodworking, and Lost Art Press.   They have a lot of books you won't find on Amazon.

Paul Seller's has a good book called Essential Woodworking Hand Tools which is a great learning resource.   It's covering hand tools, but I think he's showing a great way to get started without spending a lot of money.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Eric. said:

Techniques, styles, inspiration or philosophy?

I guess all three :)

17 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

My suggestions as a fellow neophyte:

USDA (2007) The encyclopedia of wood

I have a hard copy, but I think you can get this online.  This has a section on characteristics of different species as well as an understanding of hard and softwoods in general.  You want this.

-------------

Korn, Peter (2003) Woodworking Basics

Exactly that.  I found it useful; maybe there are even better books.

-------------

Jackson, A. et al. (1989) The complete manual of woodworking.

Includes basics of wood, design (very helpful if you want to modify a set of plans), joinery techniques, and more.  

------------

Flexnor, Bob (2005) Understanding wood finishing

Has been very helpful to me in understanding the choices, how to use and why.

Perfect, thank you!