teflon drawer runners

Planning to start some projects with drawers. Looking to build my own runners and while searching which design I'm comfortable attempting, most comment on ways to deal with sticking drawers.Waxes, oils etc.   My question is, has nobody ever attempted to buy a Teflon cutting board to make one half of slide?  Would seem to eliminate sticking and would not have to be maintained. Google has only mentions of a plastic tape but nothing on thick Teflon, also as a choice for table saw jig runners. Don't suppose it would glue well but could certainly screw.

Has anyone tried cutting strips of Teflon, or is there a downside to it.

Thanks in advance to all you much more enlightened than me.

• Like 1

The downside is it's weird...and you'll have teflon in your project which would keep me awake at night.

If your construction is done well and you add a little wax, wooden slides can operate smooth as silk.  It's a skill worth pursuing.

• Like 2

Welllll, Eric, I see your point and didn't really consider that. And I think I have to agree.

I initially started thinking of this re: table saw jig runners sticking.

Pre-planning to start over again. Eight years ago sold everything and bought a RV and been full timing.  Ready to settle down again, buy everything again, and build some furniture. Want to hit the ground running and am drawing up plans-doing research. It's amazing what I didn't know I didn't know in my previous life.

Thanks for the advice

Planning to start some projects with drawers. Looking to build my own runners and while searching which design I'm comfortable attempting, most comment on ways to deal with sticking drawers.Waxes, oils etc.   My question is, has nobody ever attempted to buy a Teflon cutting board to make one half of slide?  Would seem to eliminate sticking and would not have to be maintained. Google has only mentions of a plastic tape but nothing on thick Teflon, also as a choice for table saw jig runners. Don't suppose it would glue well but could certainly screw.

Has anyone tried cutting strips of Teflon, or is there a downside to it.

Thanks in advance to all you much more enlightened than me.

Have you thought about using a Phelonic sheet good type of product? I know it's not as cheap as a cutting board but it's much easier to cut and maintains its flatness over time. I know some people who use it as a router table top and it seems to work well. David Pacitutto (spelling?) used a small sheet of plywood that was faced with phelonic to make a table saw sled recently and it skated like butter in a hot pan.

https://www.andersonplywood.com/284/phenolic-plywood/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've worked with UHMW a few times. Not the same, but should be similar working properties. I found it cuts relatively well, but has a tendency to melt and burn if you don't move the tool fast. You'll want a very clean/sharp rip blade if you use the tablesaw, and don't let your router linger. Ultimately, I'm not sure it's worth it over waxing wooder runners. 

Also, while you won't see them very often, the aesthetics aren't great.

drawer-runners.jpg

Don't remember if the letters I am looking for are UHMW or HDPE, but I bought tape for some drawers my wife loaded with DVDs. I put tape on the drawer bottom and also on the dust frame. The drawers pull easily in all seasons without needing periodic wax application.