Drawing Bow

Chet

The drawing bow is one of those tools I don't think about until I need it, and when I need it, I need it right now....so I cobble something together quickly that somewhat works after a few tries.  Ever pinch a long strip between the jaws of a long clamp to make a curve?  Me either!

Thanks for the reminder...I WILL buy these the next time LV offers free shipping.

• Like 1

I used a wooden yard stick with a slot cut in each end connected by a piece of twine for a long time. I finally broke down and bought one of each from LV and they sure come in handy on the occasions that you need one. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Once again, I'll be cobbling one together tomorrow, lol. 

You said you were waiting for free shipping... for both, the shipping for me, clear across the country was only $10.00, and I have them now when I need them. :D

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

And the asymmetrical comes in handy almost as often as the symmetrical. Ship two for the price of one.

I had wondered about that.  I don't do many asymmetrical curves, but perhaps that's just because I don't have an easy way to draw it. 

35 minutes ago, Chet said:

You said you were waiting for free shipping... for both, the shipping for me, clear across the country was only $10.00, and I have them now when I need them. :D

I'm so Amazon spoiled its ridiculous.  $10 shipping makes my nose turn up! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I had wondered about that.  I don't do many asymmetrical curves, but perhaps that's just because I don't have an easy way to draw it. 

I've used the asymmetric bow on legs many times.  That guy from Contact said it best...why buy one when you can buy two for twice the price?  They're both handy.  I wish they made longer ones.  One day I'll stumble upon the right material and make my own 8' versions.  The fiberglass or whatever Lee Valley makes theirs out of is perfect...fluid, fair curves without lumps and bumps.  Wood of any kind tends to be...not as good.

• Like 1

That pretty cool and certainly is an option but most of the time I am using a drawing bow on a piece of wood that has already been milled to close to final size and it would be hard or impossible to layout something that you show above.  But I can see the endless possibilities of curves with your "ducks" in the drawing of initial plans.  Thanks for the share.

44 minutes ago, AJ_Engineer said:

OK your free shipping is on, so go order them!

I moved to a city with one locally...my wallet keeps hurting.

Thanks a lot.  More money spent.  I don't know what it is, but every time they do free shipping I HAVE to buy a few things that I either barely need or don't need at all.  It's like crack.  Maybe the fact that they continue to charge for shipping in a free shipping world is not so stupid after all.  Anytime they need a cash flow infusion, do free shipping for a few days.  I bet their sales go through the roof when they do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJ_Engineer said:

OK your free shipping is on, so go order them!

I moved to a city with one locally...my wallet keeps hurting.

I've got one locally too. It's also in a location I drive by frequently (I went by it an hour ago on my way home). I actually have to make a point of not going in unless it's for something specific, or I'll end up getting something off the wish list.