I couldn't resist. I saw it and had to do it.

Tom Cancelleri

1 minute ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

The Berkey doesn't strip minerals which is a really nice thing. I usually add a pot full every time I'm in the kitchen after doing something that requires using water. My dogs drink Berkey water as well, having 3 dogs I go through roughly 4 gallons per day in the Berkey between coffee, drinking water, cooking, dogs, etc. 

Hmm, I didn't know that about the minerals. Why do they sell the mineral kits to place in the bottom of the Berkey, I wonder. Probably to alter the pH?

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

Ya I wouldn't have one without adding minerals by cartridge or manually with trace minerals afterwards.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Do you feel that you are missing out on a lot of mineral consumption by removing them from your water? Or is it the flavour you prefer?

3 minutes ago, rodger. said:

Do you feel that you are missing out on a lot of mineral consumption by removing them from your water? Or is it the flavour you prefer?

If you eat a healthy diet of primarily meat and leafy green veggies, you're probably right that you don't NEED the minerals in the water, too.  But natural water has minerals in it...the way we were intended to consume it...and it does taste better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric. said:

If you eat a healthy diet of primarily meat and leafy green veggies, you're probably right that you don't NEED the minerals in the water, too.  But natural water has minerals in it...the way we were intended to consume it...and it does taste better.

I agree - the minerals in water are certainly beneficial. I also like the flavour they provide. Maybe I'm missing out here!

I can't believe no one from Milwaukee area is here bragging about their water...  Sure they're adding fluoride and stuff like most populated areas, but a huge portion of their filtration is done with ozone gas and their water is amazing.  We actually have really good water in the city in Chicago as well (IMHO), but their water up there is amazing...like their tap water comes close to reminding me of the freshwater springs on the rivers in the Ozarks where I grew up.

24 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I drink Chicago tap water.  It tastes good.  Maybe it will kill me.  Who knows.

NY actually has really good tap water as well.  It comes from the Catskills, or so I am told. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/03/24/nyregion/how-nyc-gets-its-water-new-york-101.html

True NY has some good water too.     I think Chicago and Milwaukee both have the obvious advantage of the giant lake nearby.   It's easy to say "dude that lake is nasty" but they take it from 2+ miles out in the lake...and when you compare it to the options in other areas, the lake sounds pretty good.  I mean where in the heck is St. Louis getting water....both of those rivers make our lake look like an oasis...

7 minutes ago, Vyrolan said:

I mean where in the heck is St. Louis getting water....both of those rivers make our lake look like an oasis...

Our toilets, almost literally.  @Eric. grew up drinking my toilet water :)

Just gonna speak up in favor of floride. I have many relatives of all ages with multiple fillings, something in the German/italian/Norwegian genetics gave us very porous or weak teeth. I'm the only one who got fluoride doses as a child, and my teeth are rock solid.

Just gonna speak up in favor of floride. I have many relatives of all ages with multiple fillings, something in the German/italian/Norwegian genetics gave us very porous or weak teeth. I'm the only one who got fluoride doses as a child, and my teeth are rock solid.

It's only use is topical. Ingesting it does nothing for your teeth.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Maybe it doesn't turn you into a drooling moron or maybe it does (there seems to be a lot of them out there).  I'm not gonna assume anything either way...I'm just gonna avoid it.

If a human is eating a healthy human diet, rich in minerals and all the things that are biologically required - and you take care of your teeth - there's absolutely no reason that a person needs to be pumped full of fluoride on a daily basis in order to keep his teeth the rest of his life.  It's our diets that cause all of our tooth problems - the proliferation of sugar and grains after the agricultural revolution - not a fluoride deficiency.  It's malnutrition.  McDonalds and soda and potato chips and ice cream.  Pumping fluoride into the water supply is no different than the doctor giving you blood pressure medication instead of telling you to eat right and exercise.  Another modern medicine bandaid that does more harm than good.

Most of the early human skulls that archeologists find have fully intact, healthy teeth.  Wild animals don't have problems.  Only humans and domesticated or caged animals being fed diets they are not biologically adapted to eat.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BonPacific said:

My Mother has probably never had a sip of fluoridated water in her life.  She's 101, still has all her teeth, and never had a cavity.  Genetics, and good water should have something to do with it.  She grew up on a farm where they raised all their own food, before herbicides, and insecticides, and drank raw milk straight from the cow that morning.  They took their water right from a spring house.  She told me that once they filtered the milk through a cloth because the cow has swished her tail in the bucket while she was being milked that morning.

We're very fortunate with water around here.  Well water is great, and needs no treatment.  Not only is is good water, but it runs out of the ground all around us every few hundred yards, creating now what are hundreds of coves in the lake that used to be eroded out little valleys with the water running into the river, so there is plenty of it.  Our deep well sounds like it has a river running at the bottom of it-it probably does. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eric. said:

Pumping fluoride into the water supply is no different than the doctor giving you blood pressure medication instead of telling you to eat right and exercise.  Another modern medicine bandaid that does more harm than good.

I know of many reasons to be prescribed regular hypertension meds, not just being out of shape.  HTN can easily lead to strokes and renal failure, so along with your doc telling you to eat right and exercise, they give you a drug that suits your condition appropriately.  Diet and exercise can only do so much, particularly in the short term, and then it requires the patient to adhere to the regimen, which often doesn't happen.  A doctor would be negligent to not offer diet advice in these situations.     

10 hours ago, Eric. said:

Most of the early human skulls that archeologists find have fully intact, healthy teeth.  Wild animals don't have problems.  Only humans and domesticated or caged animals being fed diets they are not biologically adapted to eat.

And most of those skulls only made it to maybe 30 years old.  Modern medicine and technology has to deal with the fact that life expectancy has tripled in the last 1000 years, and doubled in the last 150.  Our bodies weren't intended to live this long, and things like fluoride, blood pressure medicine, and the knowledge what constitutes a good diet are what have helped us live so long recently.