Hello from MD

rarefish383

Hello, I'm Joe, and I'm a saw-a-holic. I grew up fourth generation in the tree care business. I collect old chainsaws, especially big ones. My Dad retired from his business in 1986, I was young and tired of the 24-7 of owning a business, so I got out of the tree business. Put in 30 years at UPS and retired last year. Even after going to work at UPS I never got trees, saws and wood out of my system. Actually my wife is always yelling at me because I still get saw dust in all of the wash. Currently I use a Stihl 660 on my mill with a 36 in bar, I can mill up to about 32 inches. I like to make live edge mortise and tenon benches, live edge work benches, and toy train display boards out of old Oak fencing. I started stacking and stickering live edge boards about five years ago. I've got piles of Red Oak, Dawn Redwood, Fir, Spalted Maple, Tulip Poplar stacked all around my yard. Oh, almost forgot some 5' 12/4 White birch in my shed for a coffee table that is high on my project list. I'm also into old Mopars, hence my screen name, "rarefish383". I have a 68 Plymouth Formula S convertible. It's a one year only option, 383, 4 speed, drop top. Plymouth only made 64 of them and the last I checked the Chrysler registry, there were only 12 know to exist. So, it's a "rare fish" with a "383". The Formula S is a factory performance package on the early Barracudas. Plymouth started putting the 383 in the Barracudas in 67, but none in convertibles until 68, then none in 69. In 70 the body style changed. So, 68 was the only year you could get a big block in a convertible of that body style. Joe. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum ! 

I had a 72 Dodge van. Mopar motors were great but the rest of the associated parts sucked. I was always replacing starters, alternators, etc etc.    

I've built a few projects from live edge slabs and there are quite a few guys on the Forum who have built some great pieces so plenty of advice exists if you need it. 

Here's the joints on the bench. I can't find the original pics. These are when I knocked it apart to refinish it. I used the natural checks in the boards for wedges to keep it tight. Since it was out side it's whole life, usually with no finished, it kind of stayed damp and swelled tight anyway, Joe.

009 (2).JPG

008 (2).JPG

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CandorLush said:

Welcome, I am in eastern Howard County and also do some milling, have an 20" on a MS291 for general home use, started milling with a 32" 038mag and recently acquired a 33" 075AV that I hope to run up to 72" soon

Hey, nice to find a local so soon. I started milling with a Homelite Super 1050, 100CC's. A couple years ago I bought a new Stihl 660 with 25 and 36 inch bars. The big saw in the pic above is a Homelite 7-29 with 52 inch bar. I picked it up at the Howard County farm and equipment auction 4 or 5  years ago for $60. It's 129 CC's with gear drive, so it cuts slow but unstoppable. I was going to use it to mill bigger stuff, then I posted a pic of it on a chainsaw collectors site. A collector in Australia offered me $800 plus shipping, so now it lives down under.Used the money to buy my Jet 16-32 drum sander. Keep in touch. If there are any other local members that have nothing to do we could get together. I have 6 or 8 30" Red Oak logs that need to be milled. Let me see if I can find another pic of them, while I'm practicing with the pics. No luck with the logs. I'll see if there is a way to load pics from my cell and just take more pics, Joe.

• Like 1

Well, never fails. I cut 3 Shoulder Stock size blanks out of a Black walnut I milled 4-5 years ago. Started running them through my Rigid 13" planer. The first one looked good. Ran one side through on the second one, looked good, flipped it over. There was a line in the second one. I looked kinda quick, didn't see anything. Ran it again and it made another line. Looked a little closer. Dang, how did that wrung off screw get in there? When I attach my mill to the log I use deck screws, I wrung one off a few inches in from the end. I started to cut the end off that slab, but, decided to leave it because I always trim about 6 inches off the slabs before I use them. I like to leave the drying slab as long as possible in case there is any checking. I guess I get to put a new set of blades in tomorrow. It was the slab under this pic. The next one down is the best, Joe.

20140724_104653_zps0czusqeu[2].jpg

Still practicing posting pics. This will be the last one, or two, I think I have it. In my Avatar I'm milling a large White Pine on my farm in WV. I let the live edge boards air dry for about 3 years. Ripped the edge off two and joined them back together to make a 34" wide table that folds down from the wall for meals, and folds back up for bed. This is in my hunting camp, Joe.

20161120_072016_zpsyecf0xtz.jpg

20161120_185222_zpsk7ohxm4g.jpg

• Like 1