Bandsaw Guide Bearings

Keggers

I have to replace the guide bearings in my Grizzly bandsaw. It's a Grizzly 17" model G0513X in case it matters. Before I hit the order button for the Carter guide kit I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for better guides? If I had the choice, I'd replace the bandsaw with a  powermatic but that isn't an option right now. Any help is greatly appreciated. I will order something today.

22 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I have been happy with Carter guides on my 14" Delta/Rockwell saw for many years. Easy to adjust.

Thanks! That's good to hear. I did order a set today. I've already started taking the old pieces off the bandsaw. I also ordered some new tires since the bottom tire kept slipping off. I hope everything gets here fairly quick.

A new long crank handle &  Ittura spring helped on my saw. The saw already had a riser block kit on it. Take plenty of pictures of how the old guides went in place. Keep track of where bolts go etc. The lower guide was harder than the upper. I think I pulled the table off to do it, but I bought my kit a few years after they came out maybe 15-20 years ago.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood.  You have to replace them for some reason other than just the bearings . . . 

No, you understood. I've never liked the guides that came with the saw and decided to just upgrade instead of just replacing the bearings. I hopefully haven't wasted some money.

12 hours ago, Keggers said:

No, you understood. I've never liked the guides that came with the saw and decided to just upgrade instead of just replacing the bearings. I hopefully haven't wasted some money.

Dad and I both have a version of Grizzly's 17" bandsaw.  The guides have never been an issue except for the original bearings which crapped out within about a year.  I did add "L" knobs for a semi tool-less adjustment. 

5a3a67c13cd65_G0513Xlowerguidefix006.jpg.9c6db381e5c574d71d5777b428446ac1.jpg

5a3a67c273efc_G0513Xlowerguidefix008.jpg.d38a7484f7dca5e17d7176f261f58300.jpg

Dad upgraded to Carter guides for his 1940's Delta 14" cast iron machine.  Now that was an upgrade. :)  I'm sure you'll be happy with the Carters. They do have some products that seem a bit over the top for their function but, I don't recall ever hearing anyone say they were unhappy with their Carter guides.

• Like 1

I have gotten in the habit of buying wrenchs, screwdrivers etc that go with tools then storing them on the machine with magnets or inside the case for portable tools.  A wrench rides on my sliding crosscut table, there are metric Tee handle Allen wrenches in every Festool box. If there are more than one wrench I write a note of what goes to what. It's right there when you need to adjust the tool and no need to go put it back up either.

38 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I have gotten in the habit of buying wrenchs, screwdrivers etc that go with tools then storing them on the machine with magnets or inside the case for portable tools.  A wrench rides on my sliding crosscut table, there are metric Tee handle Allen wrenches in every Festool box. If there are more than one wrench I write a note of what goes to what. It's right there when you need to adjust the tool and no need to go put it back up either.

I have a little toolbox that holds all my wrenches and I have notes attached to each one marked with the machine they go to. Sure comes in handy.

16 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Are you putting Christmas off until you get the tires and the reindeer made:D! Good luck on your rebuild bud! Let us know how you like the Carters. 

Thanks Ken. I don't think I'll be allowed to postpone Christmas until the bandsaw is working again. I have it in parts now and it might take me until next Christmas to put it back together again. I'll certainly report on the Carters once I have everything up and running.

The new tires just arrived so progress is being made!

Update - The Carter guide kit just arrived. Now I have to find the time to work on them.

43 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Here’s my little bandsaw help her but hold my wrenches gloves and fence.

59bad8ae06993_d-bytheBS.jpg.ca2d178706e18f47870153eca408a08a.jpg

Like almost everything along that wall that simply mounts to the appropriate cleat.

I certainly need to do something along this line. I seldom use the fence and hanging it on the wall beats leaning it up against the wall.

59 minutes ago, collinb said:

I see I'm not the only one here with an old DW708.

I wouldn't trade it for any make new one.   I've never touched it for any adjustment, and it still cuts dead on, perfectly. The only thing I've ever done to it, other than change blades, is to lube the rails.  No one has ever used it other than me though, and I can't say how many million dollars worth of work it's participated in since I bought it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom King said:

I wouldn't trade it for any make new one.   I've never touched it for any adjustment, and it still cuts dead on, perfectly. The only thing I've ever done to it, other than change blades, is to lube the rails.  No one has ever used it other than me though, and I can't say how many million dollars worth of work it's participated in since I bought it.

I bought mine broken. That cast aluminum motor frame is impossible to find -- obsoleted. Had to buy another broken one and swap parts around. Now it's a hybrid of Type III & Type IV, which really means nothing.

But after all that work I did have to adjust it square to 90 degrees. At least with this saw it can be done by loosing the bolts on the angle register. Most aren't adjustable.