A new Side Table

Isaac

56 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

I'm kind of liking those walnut "socks" on those legs Isaac, i've thought about doing something similar before but never did, i wonder if there is a different approach for the same look, i'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Another way would be to make the bottom piece totally separate, and attach with perhaps a large dowel. The way I did it was from Garrett Hack, but he probably has a doze different ways to do it. 

One benefit with this approach that I can think of, is you could really get creative and do some saw tooth or similar patterns at that joint, that would be very difficult to achieve if it were a completely separate piece of wood. Maybe I will try that next time. 

2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

I'm kind of liking those walnut "socks" on those legs Isaac, i've thought about doing something similar before but never did, i wonder if there is a different approach for the same look, i'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Dave, I got an e-thingy from FWW and watched a video that's up til Jan 6 about building an elegant side table , by Garret Hack.  It's exactly something you'd love, it's like the above, but uniquely different. The drawer will send your socks to the laundry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Dave, I got an e-thingy from FWW and watched a video that's up til Jan 6 about building an elegant side table , by Garret Hack.  It's exactly something you'd love, it's like the above, but uniquely different. The drawer will send your socks to the laundry.

Yup, I saw the same, very cool. I haven't decided yet if I have the nerve to attempt that drawer. Similarly, I went for straight socks instead of the beveled, figured I would walk before running. 

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice! The wood colors have a good feel. I like the walnut feet. I think I would add to the bottom of the feet a small piece of high tech plastic. The table will likely last a long time. Someone will slide the table, not lift it. It could chip out walnut on the bottom. But if you lift it a fraction sliding will never be a problem...I have used this stuff that comes in sheets of various thicknesses called starboard. Used in marine a lot. Counter sink a stainless screw to hold it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

Very nice! The wood colors have a good feel. I like the walnut feet. I think I would add to the bottom of the feet a small piece of high tech plastic. The table will likely last a long time. Someone will slide the table, not lift it. It could chip out walnut on the bottom. But if you lift it a fraction sliding will never be a problem...I have used this stuff that comes in sheets of various thicknesses called starboard. Used in marine a lot. Counter sink a stainless screw to hold it. 

That is a good idea and something I was thinking about as well. Typically, I cut little square of self adhering felt for the table legs, which accomplishes the same, and also protects the floor a bit.