Really small end tables

Chet

I love them, I like the through tenon and i really like the style.

Helpful critique: The bottom shelf seems like a bit of an afterthought. It's nice and useful but kinda looks tacked on. On the highly nit picky side i don't know that the curves match the console. I don't know if a taper would look better or not i have a hard time visualizing how to do that but  that's my initial though. I mean the leg curves not the apron curves. Chet i hope you and no one else takes this the wrong way if i made these i'd be as happy as a pig in $@*$.

The console looks great though the proportions of it are excellent.

• Thanks 1

Drew you are absolutely correct.  The shelf was an after thought.  First I wasn't going to do anything and when I started dry fits it looked "empty"  So I added a solid shelf but after the leg assembly was glued up when I set the self on it looked heavy and squaty.  So I came up with what you see which, to me look the best but would have looked almost perfect if I had used mortise and tenon (not through) on the front and back apron so the self was flush.

16 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

i don't know that the curves match the console

No, they don't really and the tables aren't by the media cabinet, they are on both sides of the couch across the room.  I mainly took that picture to see and show if I was able to duplicate a stain process that i had used on the media cabinet...  just a little exercise for me.

And truth be told my furniture projects are a bit of a hodge podge.  If I see something I would like to build, the fact that it does or doesn't go with other things doesn't really enter in.  In this one room I have the Barrister bookcase, the media cabinet and these tables.  I am sure an interior decorator would gag but my wife and I are okay with it. :) 

Ahh the proximity of things makes sense i read initially that the barrister was close and that style is different from either of these IIRC. So the curves don't really need to make sens then. In that case i like the style even more. Like you mentioned the shelf would look better if they were mortised in but a shelf in this manner is better than no shelf. All in all for a winging it project still really well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1