Wood choice for this cabinet?

LazarusDB

Hi all,

I’ve picked out this cabinet from Fine Woodworking as my next project. In the plan, they use beech which looks nice. The problem is it’s only available in 4/4 rough from my local hardwoods dealer. I know I can do glueups for the legs. The top and drawer front call for 13/16” thickness which hopefully I can do if very careful with jointing and planing. I’ve done a lot of walnut projects lately but don’t know this cabinet would look as nice in walnut. I’ve thought about soft maple with birdseye maple top and/or drawerfront. Any thoughts on other wood choices you think would look nice?

Thanks.

5a86fed72647c_FramePanelCabinet.thumb.JPG.3a4a042af1965f8396351ec787b344c2.JPG

I think that could look just fine in walnut. Any thing looks just fine in walnut in my honest opinion.

My personal favorite wood is cherry though, this would also look good in cherry.

Someone did something similar to this recently in ribbon stripe sepele (sp?) and that looked fantastic as well.

Thanks for the input. I took today off work so went to Highland Hardwoods. I was still undecided when I arrived but went straight to the beech. Selection of boards wasn’t great so I started looking around and decided on soft maple and got a nice piece of curly soft maple for the top. I’ll need to let the wood acclimate to the shop for a few days so I’ll need to find another project for the weekend.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Let me narrow it down for you. Cherry, white oak, pecan, Walnut, Peruvian walnut, Birch, alder, soft maple, figured maple, figured walnut, the design is so clean and classic you could do almost anything except throw  A combination of  spalted Maple and Bubinga at it and come out a winner.

• Like 2