Robotic carpenters

Jfitz

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Would that put sawstop out of business? A replacement finger might not cost much more than the brake cartridge and a new saw blade.

Maybe if you buy a cheap Chinese made knock off replacement finger. But I think most people on these forums would go for the high quality Veritas brand digits which would probably cost a bit more.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Coyote Jim said:

Maybe if you buy a cheap Chinese made knock off replacement finger. But I think most people on these forums would go for the high quality Veritas brand digits which would probably cost a bit more.

Gass would probably come up with a new patent specifically for robots i guess. He'd use dongles in his demonstrations instead of wieners.

OK guys....didn't mean for this to stir any state/union/Gass bashing.  Personally, I found it an interesting project for some college students  - but I also though it showed a  lack of understanding about how furniture is actually made.

I love the comment about CNC machines - "gargantuan, fixed devices that limit the size and shape of what you can cut".  Because replacing them with other gargantuan machines and limited room vacuums saws is much better. :)

It was interesting to watch. We shouldn't expect a college student project to have a robot making perfect Bombe secretaries. If you think these students are the famous snowflakes who aren't learning anything useful, I think you are off the mark. 

In this sort of research, it is always about incremental advances and trying new ideas. 

Today a robot uses a chop saw. Maybe next time it uses a drill press and makes dowel joints. Next it incorporates a panel saw, etc. The capabilities and precision will keep increasing.