First pair of parallel clamps? Which to buy?

Tobykanobe

15 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I just bought my first half dozen of the Dubuques and they're the bees knees.  All of my clamp purchases in the foreseeable future will be Dubuques.  I bought a three pack of the racks that hold 9 each, I intend on filling 'em up.

What kind of racks hold those?

the ones called pipe clamp racks?

10 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I just bought my first half dozen of the Dubuques and they're the bees knees.  All of my clamp purchases in the foreseeable future will be Dubuques.  I bought a three pack of the racks that hold 9 each, I intend on filling 'em up.

I have some of these on my short list of tools to buy. I have heard a lot of good things about them.

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I have some of these on my short list of tools to buy.

This hobby is such a money pit.  Does anyone ever wonder how much our furniture projects are actually costing us. :o

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chet said:

This hobby is such a money pit.  Does anyone ever wonder how much our furniture projects are actually costing us. :o

Yes i have a spreadsheet. I also try and price what the furniture would cost of purchased. To put it this way. 2 to 3 large pieces easily paid for most of my tools. This isn't including home improvement uses.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Yes i have a spreadsheet. I also try and price what the furniture would cost of purchased. To put it this way. 2 to 3 large pieces easily paid for most of my tools. This isn't including home improvement uses.

Home improvement covers all but my jointer and a few specialty hand planes. 

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I do the same. Thus far I'm not even close to breaking even. I've never really built a useful piece of furniture for myself.

On 5/5/2018 at 12:55 PM, Chet said:

On 5/5/2018 at 4:28 PM, Chestnut said:

Yes i have a spreadsheet.

So do you have to include the cost of tools that you bought, but didn't actually use on the project, but just thought you might need some day?  'Cause then this shop cart was about... Yikes!