It sucks. Hard.

Bombarde16

IMG_20181016_202844.thumb.jpg.825a818494c63923d81adbd3747f91b3.jpg

This is Harbor Freight's 2HP dust collector, stacked on top of a plastic cyclone from Oneida. Wasn't thinking when I picked out a can to use as a collection bin at the bottom. Even with nothing connected, this is what happens.

https://youtu.be/elQVeCb2xjA

Seemed like a good idea at the time and all that.  Apply palm to forehead. Stronger collection bin on the way.

14 hours ago, RichardA said:

Any big box store..... 30 gal. metal trash can.   Works like a charm, and not expensive.  Then remove hand print from forehead.

Certainly a smart option. Lowes currently offers this for $22.

085995001133.thumb.jpg.905771be4ec3f43e03a68ec5aadf591c.jpg

I decided instead to make a square collection bin.  Currently upside down waiting for the construction adhesive to dry so I can flush the bottom to the sides.

IMG_20181017_125724.thumb.jpg.50267f44f88e6282b77ea7b04c4d4da9.jpg

It's more time-consuming than buying a metal can and it means that I'll have to shovel the contents into a secondary container instead of taking the entire can outside, but I figure this approach has a few benefits.

• I can fit it to the low ceiling and get more capacity for the space I have at hand.
  • As K Cooper pointed out, I can cut a window in the side to help monitor the contents as it fills up.
  • This used up a pile of particle board salvaged from a derelict ping pong table in the church youth room.
  • The material has a smooth (thermoplastic?) surface on one side, so I made that face in.
  • Since my split-top Roubo is still on hold, I'm a little short on hernia-inducing heavy objects in the shop. A large box made of 3/4" particleboard serves that purpose nicely.

Off to get a few casters and then to make the lid for the top.

40 minutes ago, Bombarde16 said:

...and it means that I'll have to shovel the contents into a secondary container instead of taking the entire can outside,

While I commend your ingenuity this would keep me from going that route. I doesn't seem like it would be an issue but in my mind that would be a royal pain and will reintroduce already collected dust back into the shop. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

While I commend your ingenuity this would keep me from going that route. I doesn't seem like it would be an issue but in my mind that would be a royal pain and will reintroduce already collected dust back into the shop. 

Quite possibly. And if this ends up being a deal breaker, I'll get a round can and I'm only out the time it took to make a box. But I'm optimistic for two reasons:

• Frank Howarth's setup is a square box that he shovels out regularly. Monkey see, monkey do.
  • This box will only collect dust that is large enough to fall out in the cyclone. All of the fines get blasted out into the backyard or, if I ever install one, caught in a filter after the impeller. Theoretically, shoveling out what remains won't be an unmanageable exercise sending fresh clouds all over the shop.

Time will tell. For now, I just want to get this foolish thing together and functional!

• 4 weeks later...