Sun porch accessories

wtnhighlander

Years ago I had a mason who was good at matching mortar colors. He approached it by making multiple samples. It's a slow process and thus expensive too. 

I like the shutter design. Will the black lines be grooves that allow for expansion & contraction ? Mitered corners are the enemy of solid wood panels. 

On 11/14/2018 at 9:49 AM, wdwerker said:

Years ago I had a mason who was good at matching mortar colors. He approached it by making multiple samples. It's a slow process and thus expensive too. 

I like the shutter design. Will the black lines be grooves that allow for expansion & contraction ? Mitered corners are the enemy of solid wood panels. 

The design is tricky. In order to accommodate the use of TapCon screws to attach the shutters to the mortar joints, the two center rails are fake overlays. The shutter is one giant framed panel. The middle rails will lay into recesses in the main panel, so that they appear to have the panel set into grooves like the top, bottom, and sides do. But they are primarily in place to cover the tapcons, since those will have a somewhat unpredictable placement. The fake rails will be held on with the evenly-spaced, decorative screw heads shown in the sketch.

Since the panel is about 28" wide, how deep would you recommend the grooves be made in the stiles?

Red oak plain sawn 28" wide if the moisture content went from 7% to 14% could move 7/8" or more. Rift sawn 5/8 , Quartersawn 7/16

I would finish the frame and panel separately, use quartersawn and seal the hell out of that panel. Allow more room on both sides for movement and add a screw from the back top and bottom dead center so the panel stays centered when it moves because it will certainly move. 

If every vertical black line was a floating T&G joint you can divide the 7/8 to 7/16 by 4 which seems more workable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember when the song came out. Doesn't seem like it was over 40 years ago. 

Nice clean wide planks of red oak are easy to work with except in the winter when the doors are closed and you are trapped with that smell. If red oak is the clients choice I'm fine with it but it's not going to be used on my personal projects.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Planed a bunch of wood over the weekend, but you have all seen that before.

Tonight I started cutting joinery. The frame for the faux shutters has some special requirements, and Paul Sellers recently showed me the perfect joint for the application.

20181127_192117.thumb.jpg.73ff177249a80e19c51bb4e0bd3cbaca.jpg

That's the mortised half of a tenoned miter joint, something I never heard of until recently.

Its 26F in my garage tonight, the tenon side will have to wait until my fingers thaw.

• Like 1

Profiling the "raised panel" for this shutter is a challenge. Nibbling away stock with a dado set, then a core box router bit, does the job, but requires too much work with the gooseneck scraper to clean up.

20181203_172725.thumb.jpg.a9a86cca430437bb3870084732f0fcb0.jpg

I think I'm going to grind the bearing stud off a 1/2" cove bit, and use it with an edge guide to speed this process up a bit.

• 3 weeks later...