Gas Engine Table Saw

Chestnut

If that saw kicks back the board will go through the barn door with ease.

I read a book about a guy that was running a steam engine powered tablesaw. It kicked back and mortally wounded him when he was working by himself. He crawled to the basement and shut down the boiler to prevent an explosion before he expired. 

I am not sure where the physics of kick back got misunderstood here. This saw should not run any faster than what we have in our shop. The motor will have HP and torque, but the stepping of pulleys would target a blade spinning at the same speed to not over heat. 

Torque plays a critical part in kickback. I can hold a board well enough to stall the 1.5 hp motor on my contractor saw if it binds. I doubt anyone will do the same with that diesel engine, even though the blades are turning the same speed.

Speed would matter more if the stock is not held down tightly, for sure. But consider the mass of the workpiece. A drive capable of 100 lb/ft of torque at 5000 rpm can accelerate a much greater mass than a drive producing only 10 lb/ft at 5000 rpm.

The kickback my tablesaw can do with a 4/4 board could probably be duplicated on that saw with a 16/4 board of equal width and length.

• Like 1

Lets assume that motor cracks out 50 ft-lbs and the blade is 12" and lets also assume we have a 12" 3 hp table saw. The 50 ft-lbs is a heck of a lot more force going into the projectile than the maybe 4 from a table saw.  so 12" blade that puts the tip force at 100 lbs and 8 lbs respectively. the tip of the blade is essentially a lever 6" long from the center of the arbor.

This is a generalization because obviously the power transfer through pullies is going to change stuff so i was assuming both motors being in 1:1 drive and running 3,600 rpm not realistic for the diesel.

My dad’s dad sold Farmall. There were fewer diesel models. I assumed the wires I see are distributer and plug wires. I stand by the physics. Once the piece moves it is accelerated by the spinning mass. I am obviously not comparing this to a job site saw. I don’t see more powerful kicks for 1.75 HP to 5 HP in commercial settings. I have a hard time thinking a belt driven 19 HP on old leather belts would make any difference at the same blade speed. Do I care on the high end? No! I only question using language that might lead someone to think a 1HP saw won’t imbed the kicked piece in a door. Any kick is dangerous. Check out the blade shown in the pics. Those are deep gullets. Really looks like a beam milling or cleaning setup. 

Two things here-

1. I checked the calendar and didn't see that it was "Pick on collinb" month.

2. I lived in a farming community in central Kentucky. Cubs, in the late 70s and early 80s, were going for a lot more than $700. Saw one go for $1,200!

My father and uncle had a Farmall H and M back in the early 50s. Brings back a lot of memories!

Not really convinced you understand physics.

Like a MLB fastball and a slow pitch softball? Which one hurts more? The fastball, according to my grandson.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    walo47
    Newest Member
    walo47