Drill bit set

Tobykanobe

Just my two cents worth..

Although I have a large set, it's a rare occasion when I'm reaching for some of the "oddball" sizes.  There's about 5 that I reach of on a regular bases so, chose to purchase several of each of those rather than another large set.

I also prefer bradpoint bits for the shop.

• Like 2

I'm with Kev on brad points those are my good ones (I think its a set of 6) but I also have a cheapo large set as well for the occasional odd ball size.  I also purchased this set on sale a couple years back and they have been pretty good for everyday use, break one throw it away 

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-100-piece-combo-brad-point-and-twist-drill-bit-box

• Like 1

I've had better results from American or European made brad point bits than the lower priced Asian ones.  However I have a big set like the one you linked to but just the fractional split point bits from 1/16 to 1/2 with multiples of each size 20 each of the smallest ones and only 2 or 3 of the biggest sizes. They are Asian imports and work fine in wood or mild steel/aluminum etc. Hard steel can burn up one of those bits on the first hole. But the set saves me a fortune on just the little bits that break so easily drilling pilot holes for screws.

Over the years I have acquired a set of numbered ,lettered & metric size bits. When you need an in between size bit or a specified size they are very handy to have but the majority of those bits never get used.

I've got a big 22 piece set of Rockler's Forstner bits that are most likely Asian but having the slightly under or oversized ones has paid off. 11/16 fits store bought 3/4" dowels that seem to always be undersized. If you keep them clean and run them at slow rpm's they behave well.

But starting off with a quality set of brad points is a pretty wise choice.

I bought Hansen twist drill sets probably 40 years ago, and every size has not only been used, but probably worn out, and replaced several times.  I can't remember who made the brad point bits I have, but I'm sure they weren't from China because they were bought too long ago .  I don't know that I've ever worn out a brad point, or a Forstner bit.

My "Bits" toolbox probably weighs 35 pounds, and doesn't hold hole saws, or plumbing bits.  Those have their own tool boxes.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:47 PM, treeslayer said:

Anybody have any thoughts on carbide brad point bits, expensive but if they last a long time..just in the main sizes 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2

I’d drop them on the shop floor for sure then but I too would like to know. Save a $ by catching your bit before it hits the floor with your bare foot! 

I have and use the heck out of this set: Lee Valley Brad Point Bits. Yes, they're twice the price of the OP's preferred price, but they're the best bradpoints I've ever used. I've even got multiples of some of most commonly used sizes as backups. You could always get a smaller set of them, then add bits as you need the sizes. I made due with a 7 piece set of bradpoints for years, and probably still could if I stuck to more common sizes of hardware and such.

I have an older set of TiN coated bit form Northern Tool. I've had them since '98 or '99. I've used  fair number of them, but nowhere near even half the sizes. They work okay, but not great. I found that I needed to sharpen most of them to get good results, even the brand new, unused bits.

As a side note, I still have a set my dad got me from Sears for my 12th birthday (31 years ago). I've lost a couple bits, but I still use them and they still cut fantastically, even in steel. Those I've never resharpened, though it'd be interesting to see how they perform with new edges.