Boeshield RustFree

VizslaDad

rust-free-8oz.jpg.5cca01b7a5619df8cf08802f75d9c59b.jpg

https://boeshield.com/products/

+

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-3-375-in-x-5-in-Heavy-Duty-Stripping-Tool-Handle-and-Pad-10110NA/301116823

I recently moved from the Pacific Northwest to NE Ohio. The bulk of my stationary tools had been in climate-controlled storage for >1 year in a very dry part of Washington State. The dry air plus a very generous coating of T-9 Boeshield kept the cast iron surfaces remarkably clear. Unfortunately, my rust prevention treatment finally succumbed to a combination of handling during the move and placement in an uninsulated detached garage that has experienced 40+ degree (F) temperature swings since early November. Now that the holidays are behind us I finally have time I can allocate to setting up shop, and step one (after digging out all the tools necessary to assemble the...tools) is to deal with the predictable flash rust that's appeared on all my cast iron surfaces.

I already had a bottle of the Boeshield RustFree product, previously using it to remove rust from handplanes or the occasional nut or bolt, and it worked well in those applications. It smells horrendous (seasoned cat urine would be preferable) and is acidic/toxic so it pays to be judicious. Do not be surprised if the smell permeates your clothing if you use anything but the most minimal volume of this material.

Heinous smell aside, RustFree worked really well in conjunction with a very coarse scotch brite pad to remove all of the flash rust on my tools. My procedure was:

1) wipe down surface with mineral spirits to remove T-9 residue

2) spritz a modest amount of RustFree (perhaps half a tablespoon for the entirety of a cast iron tablesaw wing, unless an area needed a little more saturation)

3) wait no more than a minute or so

4) scrub with the 3M pad

Happily the rust situation was not too serious in that there was no serious pitting or heavily rusted areas. Every surface was cleaned to my satisfaction with one application + scrub. 

If you decide to try out RustFree, take my word for it and do it outside and/or maximize the amount of ventilation and air movement in your work area. You won't want anyone to think you have some kind of Breaking Bad situation going on in your shop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1  I have used Rust Free for many years.  You do want gloves, eye protection and a respirator as it is caustic (and stinks) but, I have pulled some really deep shadows out with it.  Good maintenance is the best solution but for those times when rust sneaks in, it is my go-to.

34 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Be careful how you store it.

20190108_123108.thumb.jpg.4af70373bf792986f23d6ecf8ed1ac01.jpg

Bottle fell over and leaked eating away at the cabinet. :(

YIKES. I thought it was bad that my T-9 Boeshield propellent appeared to have dissipated while in storage so I'm left with a useless, non-pressurized half full can of Boeshield in my cabinet. I'd take that over your situation!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 1:10 PM, VizslaDad said:

I thought it was bad that my T-9 Boeshield propellent appeared to have dissipated while in storage so I'm left with a useless, non-pressurized half full can of Boeshield in my cabinet. 

Same thing happened to me in an unused, new can. I got 2-3 sprays and then... Nothing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Man i'd love to see you two up here, i woke up to it being -8. I don't even consider that to be cold, it's just a bit brisk and refreshing.

No Way? You guys must wear climate controlled underwear to keep the population steady. :)

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

No Way? You guys must wear climate controlled underwear to keep the population steady. :)

Battery powered heated long underwear are awesome no joke.....

https://www.amazon.com/FERNIDA-Insulated-Underwear-Adjustable-Charging/dp/B07H9N6QJT/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=49D1BMKMZMNJZPD0TJ6H

• Haha 1

@gee-dub

Could be environmental, could be mechanical. I've never opened a can up but I assume there's a straw that draws the fluid up to the nozzle. If that straw falls off, it could render the can useless. That's my best guess anyway.

(And not to be a killjoy but that pic of the  overturned deck chair started out as an example of the horrible damage caused by Hurricane Rita in Texas and has been around for a long time. Still funny though!)