Kumiko Lamp

Denette

Lamp looks awesome. Ive been wanting to make myself a kumiko lamp much like yours. 

The kumiko bug bites pretty hard. I like using it in the lids of my small boxes now. Ive gone so far as making a dedicated table saw sled for cutting the little half laps.

Not sure if anyone around here follows Matt Kenney, but im pretty sure kumiko is all he makes anymore.

I got the whole thing pretty well together.  It took a little fiddling with the fit of the panels, and took a bit of creativity to get the homemade LED strip bulb mounted in such a way that would still allow me to retrofit a regular bulb later on if I so choose, but I got it!  

Disassembled it, put a ⅛” chamfer on all the edges,  and then set out to figure out the solution to the last bit of this puzzle: how the heck to install that top panel.  Due to the fact that I’ve kind of been winging it, the top ended up being a casualty.  It’s a good bit too small.  The square kumiko panel can’t work as is, so I am going to have to either remake it or modify it.  It’s currently fudged into place on top of a larger kumiko frame that is large enough to rest on top of the rails.  It’s not going anywhere right away, anyway.  I’ve got to figure something out, though.

So, for now, the project is on a hard pause.  Since this project is for my own house, I have dry-assembled and pre-finished the entire lamp.  For a lamp that will never be touched, the joinery alone is plenty to hold it together.  I’m doing this because I’m uncertain about those legs.  Are they too tall?  I’m unsure.  I’m also not even about to let that top be this lame when I call this one complete.  So it gets to perch in the living room this week, looking finished but secretly still devoid of glue in the frame.  I’ll mull it over.

8483E296-3A26-4AD6-8AE2-0DD4D1FD1ABD.jpeg

55682544-817E-4C2D-9C3B-12DE8F9D4C4C.jpeg

• Like 2

I agree with highlander - I think the proportions of the legs are just fine.  I also don't mind the elevated look and fit of the top.  I'd glue it up if it were me and stop pointing out the "errors."

Also agree that is seems a shame to hide two sides of it.  Hope that's not its final resting place.