Need Help Finishing My Bow Front

Hammer5573

I’m in the process of finishing a bow front chest. I veneered the cabinet sides and front apron with African Mahogany ( ignore the drawer fronts because they are a different species). I also used the same species for the legs (8/4).I compared the veneer with the 8/4  for color match prior to milling and I was satisfied . The legs are now much lighter in color and don’t match the veneer. I know that Mahogany darkens with age and assume that the legs will darken; however, should I try to match the legs using extra applications of the wood dye that I’m planning to use or will they even out if I leave them alone?

E0DFF09C-6225-4CB6-BD3E-E3BD7A2D5473.jpeg

That's a bugger, but I'd try the extra layers of stain. Luckily, the legs are below the normal plane of view so if they're off a bit it won't be terrible in the big picture. While woods darken, so will the others, so whatever you end up with at the end is the contrast you'll have to live with. 

The alternative, of course, is make new legs, but that's hugely problematic when they're already installed, I know. 

That said, the piece looks really nice! :) 

If it's all the same wood and some just needs some additional darkening set the legs outside to get a suntan. If that's not an option Steve "wdwerker" has suggested multiple times to use halogen work lamps to give parts a suntan.

If you want to be super critical about it use a sheet or paper to mask of the areas you don't want the additional exposure.

My issue with stain for color matching is the dye is going to hold it's color while the rest of the wood will get darker. You may hit a point in the future where things are uneven again. That and getting the right color is going to be tricky and will work for right now. If the underlying wood ages the color may shift..... too many variables. If you liked the color match before you milled the wood get some age on the milled parts.

6 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Halogen doesn't make much UV though, but I have no experience with using them to 'tan' wood. If that doesn't work you could try an actual tanning lamp.

I haven't tried it but Steve has generally provided good information. @Hammer5573 Link below. I don't want to claim this information as my own not because it's bad but more so because the author deserves the credit.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I haven't tried it but Steve has generally provided good information. @Hammer5573 Link below. I don't want to claim this information as my own not because it's bad but more so because the author deserves the credit.

Well, I certainly would not argue with Steve's experience then, cause he's got more of it than I would get in 6 lifetimes. That's good to know.

Metal halide fixtures give off a fair bit of UV if you have one of those laying around. If you want to get really crazy, then break the outer shell off a metal halide lamp, leaving the arc tube intact. That'll really give you a tan/burn in a big hurry. DO NOT DO THIS!!!

• 2 weeks later...