Reloading bench and utility desk

Chip Sawdust

I like it, the bench looks functional. I mean not to be rude but has any one told you that you can put more than 1 paragraph and 1 picture in a post? It doesn't effect me one way or another just seems like a lot of work.

I have dies fro ACP and don't mind reloading it. I just get over trying to find every last brass. The other thing that is nice about it is most people don't collect it so i usually get a lot from friends. I don't really shoot much any more.

I also one of these days should make a reloading bench. I have diesfor my 270 WSM and enough brass to last a lifetime. I originally got into reloading because $2.50 per shot retail was just a bit expensive. reloading i got that down to $0.75

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I like it, the bench looks functional. I mean not to be rude but has any one told you that you can put more than 1 paragraph and 1 picture in a post? It doesn't effect me one way or another just seems like a lot of work.

I haven’t quite figured that one out yet, Chestnut. But I’ll get better at it. Every forum has different ways of doing things and I’m no expert. I figure I’m lucky to be able to put pictures in :) So you’re not being rude; I like a clean layout as much as the next person. I just need to spend a little more time on the mechanics of it. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I haven’t quite figured that one out yet, Chestnut. But I’ll get better at it. Every forum has different ways of doing things and I’m no expert. I figure I’m lucky to be able to put pictures in :) So you’re not being rude; I like a clean layout as much as the next person. I just need to spend a little more time on the mechanics of it. 

A lot of that can depend on the device you are using to post as well. Posting from a phone is different than a tablet which is different from a computer.

The little plus symbol next to the quote is a nice feature they call it multi quote. I suggest playing around with it, it might make life easier.

So the top has Watco black walnut on it and topped off with Minwax water-based varnish, three coats. I like this stuff; it dries relatively quickly and doesn’t stink up the place like SparVar. Time will tell if it’s as durable as I’d like but I’m glad to have this done. Now I can start cleaning up my office - there are tools and sawdust in there. The wife isn’t thrilled *shrug* :) 

8FEA953C-7A01-4008-94D7-EBD810F58F16.jpeg

• 4 months later...

So the fitting has been done, the drawers made and I glued up the inner parts of the frame last night. Today the outer parts went on, so that glue is drying. 

Now, people will think this isn’t purist, and I agree (but it is a utility piece even tho it’s in the house) bit I used one on the backside where nobody will see. Cheaper, but I don’t like working pine as much. I ripped pieces from a 2x4 and of course they bowed.... so there’s a droop on the back that will have to be straightened when I attach the back.

I was hoping “creative clamping” would ameliorate the situation but no joy. Here’s what that looked like, and I’m here to tell you while it was fun to figure out, it didn’t make much difference :) 

08CB9124-5AD5-47FA-BEC6-E0A467737CEF.jpeg

It looks straight across but only because of the stub under the center and the clamps holding it down to the bench. I loosened one clamp and the end leg rose right back up off the bench. *sigh*

On 7/8/2019 at 6:37 AM, Chestnut said:

Nice! That looks good. Some day i'm going to have to build a reloading bench. I have all my equipment stored away in boxes right now.

That’s always been a problem eh? I’m in better shape now for sure. There may be minor improvements along the way as I use it but for now I feel like I’m in the lap of luxury :) 

The fellow who taught me to shoot skeet was a state champion for many years- regular classes and senior classes. Remember, this was in the days before progressive reloaders.  He had a bench in his office with 12-20-28-410 in a row. He would get into a rhythm and load a box in no time.

Chip Sawdust, my complements on the reloading bench and the desk. Thanks for the series of photos.

On 7/11/2019 at 4:58 PM, Bankstick said:

The fellow who taught me to shoot skeet was a state champion for many years- regular classes and senior classes. Remember, this was in the days before progressive reloaders.  He had a bench in his office with 12-20-28-410 in a row. He would get into a rhythm and load a box in no time.

Chip Sawdust, my complements on the reloading bench and the desk. Thanks for the series of photos.

Thanks Bankstick, I’ve been wanting to build it for many years. I have a little MEC600 for loading the 12GA and that’s it.

A friend wants to trade a piece of furniture he wants to spec out for me and trade and over/under Beretta, so I’m not sure if he wants a table or a Federal sideboard! But I’d love to have that shotgun! 

On 7/14/2019 at 1:54 PM, Bankstick said:

I would not only spec it but if the Beretta was in good shape, I'd build it for him! They have been making firearms for about 400 years, if I get my years correctly.

It's been family owned for closer to 500 years. I love my Beretta shotgun. It's a dream to shoot, and i have one of their low end ones.

Missed it by 100 years but it was a guess without researching. A shooting magazine had an article by a fellow who toured the factory in Italy. And think that some people go to Italy to see the Vatican. That would be second on my list! Chestnut, you made a good choice. It's on my wish list. FWIW, I was going to buy my wife a new shotgun for Christmas. She said if I did, it would only be used once.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bankstick said:

Missed it by 100 years but it was a guess without researching. A shooting magazine had an article by a fellow who toured the factory in Italy. And think that some people go to Italy to see the Vatican. That would be second on my list! Chestnut, you made a good choice. It's on my wish list. FWIW, I was going to buy my wife a new shotgun for Christmas. She said if I did, it would only be used once.

A guy won it from a raffle and had traded it in for a better model I got it for something like $850 quite a few years ago and felt like i got a heck of a deal. It had never been shot.