Reloading bench and utility desk

Chip Sawdust

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

The primers are pretty new, bought sometime during the Obama administration

That era SUCKED. but i have maybe 10,000 primers because of that. I bought as many as i could when stock finally hit shelves. That era was great for gun makes they made a lot of money back then.

Interesting i used Green Dot for my .45 acp loads can't remember why i chose it over red dot. I never thought about pistol powders being good for shotgun but i suppose they operate similarly. Burn the powder as fast as possible. If you keep posting reloading picture you might motivate me to set up my own bench.... :D.

• Like 1

Search "reloading calculator" and you find a sackful of websites. It is cheaper to reload and part of the fun of shooting. Grandkids are getting into reloading. Good time with them and I don't have to wonder where they are.

I saw a DIY shot tower for $300 several years ago.

Edit- Holding out for a Kreighoff San Remo 4 gauge skeet set. Saw one advertised for $75K. Also got to HOLD a Holland & Holland .410 bore SXS at their NYC showroom. In 1998, it was $71,500. I'll go over to my safe, open it and kiss my Remington 1100! Might trade it as it misses targets.:P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bankstick said:

Search "reloading calculator" and you find a sackful of websites. It is cheaper to reload and part of the fun of shooting. Grandkids are getting into reloading. Good time with them and I don't have to wonder where they are.

I saw a DIY shot tower for $300 several years ago.

Edit- Holding out for a Kreighoff San Remo 4 gauge skeet set. Saw one advertised for $75K. Also got to HOLD a Holland & Holland .410 bore SXS at their NYC showroom. In 1998, it was $71,500. I'll go over to my safe, open it and kiss my Remington 1100! Might trade it as it misses targets.:P

Thanks! 

After 40 years of shooting  Remington 870's I switched to a Browning Citori last year strangely enough it still misses targets :D

On 2/21/2020 at 9:37 AM, pkinneb said:

Chip Sawdust Curious what you figure a box costs you?

I can’t really say with today’s prices because I bought most of these supplies 15 years ago. I stopped shooting for a long time, but with this new to me shotgun today I went out and did five trap rounds! 
Since I didn’t buy this stuff recently I call it all free right now :) Free is good. Ask me again in a few months. More than that actually because my $46 jug of red dot still has a lot in it and I have two jugs of it. I’ll have to buy wads and later on some shot, but I had 75# of shot sitting around that I’ve lugged around through three or four houe moves. I’m still not through the first one as I only loaded 250 rounds in the past few days and 25# does more than that many rounds. For trap I load about 1-1/8 oz/round. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 8:45 PM, Chip Sawdust said:

I finally got around to loading some trap shells for the Beretta, which is the first time I’ve loaded shotgun shells in ages! But the dovetail/wedge idea worked like a champ once I mounted my little Mec600 on it. So far I’ve only loaded 200 of the 5-600 hulls I've had laying around forever, but that’s enough to go shooting this weekend - finally. 
A little illustration of the setup...

4914606F-4C2C-4618-B62A-113F967C23F4.jpeg

I’m using components I bought over 10 years ago so to me it seems like free stuff :) That jug of Red Dot has a price on it of about $46 of that gives you any indication of its era. The wads and lead are as old. The primers are pretty new, bought sometime during the Obama administration :) 

AA hulls will last a life time. Duct tape added will extend that to forever. ;)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Coop said:

AA hulls will last a life time. Duct tape added will extend that to forever. ;)

Haha I don’t know about duct tape, but you’re right, the AA hulls are absolutely the most durable. I don’t know how many times I’ve reloaded those, but they’re like the Times watch of hulls. Or the Eveready batteries. Something like that :) 

One of my shooting buddies who also had a 12GA gave me all his hulls, not AA but now I have even more empties to load, whew! Now around 750...

Saved Remington STS hulls from F&G agency workshops for HE instructors. Have about 2K empties. Used to shoot competitive trap and bought the MEC 9000 progressive reloader. Much faster than the 650 Junior!

AAs are great. Had some that I tossed after many years when the crimps turned black (Red Dot- nastiest powder on the market) and looked like tulip petals.

How did we get off the bench thread??? Good woodworking and grind up the clays!

Lol @Bankstick reloading seems like a natural extension to a thread about a reloading bench :) I don’t shoot enough to justify a progressive but if I did it competitively for sure that would pay for itself quickly. 
Lately I’ve done more model building on that bench than reloading but I do need another reload session pretty soon. Since I went shooting last weekend the bug has re-bit me. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I have a new reloading project coming in about a week. Just ordered this in 300WM.

Browning BAR MK 3 - 031047246.jpg

Very nice! Browning makes a line of fine firearms and that 300 should put just about anything on the ground you care to shoot at, has a friend who shot a bolt action 300WM out to 1000 yards with great accuracy, have a particular animal in mind ?

• Thanks 1

I confess I'm more of a paper puncher than a hunter, but for hunting on this continent I'm pretty well set. I have a 300WM Ruger M77 as well, so I already have plenty of experience with that round.

I have a Win 94 in 44 mag that I bought off one of my sister's ex-boyfriends years ago. With a pistol round like that it's at best a 100 yard gun; the 30-30 in the same rifle reaches twice as far but at the time it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

I've read the history of Browning, from John Moses Browning's father who moved to Utah, to the man himself, and beyond, as well as his work with Winchester to FN. As a kid I always thought of the BAR as required equipment for infantry, and although those days are far past, the line of products has always impressed me. This is my first Browning and although it hasn't anything in common with the original BAR - well, let's just say this is something I didn't need but I wanted! Last time I spoiled myself it was the Laguna 1214 :)

My next rifle will most likely be a Browning lever rifle. I like the Marlins, but I like the look of the Browning a lot more and it's an excellent rack and pinion action. It'll be a big bore probably 45-70 or 450 Marlin.

• Like 1

The BAR was even used up till Viet Nam, although the rate of fire from the WWI version (330rpm IIRC) was up to about 550 rpm by then. There was a certain sound to it that struck fear into the hearts of the guys on the other side.

@pkinneb Is that Citori doing any better on the range? Our ranges are closed here for the time being, but I'm hoping they open up before summer is out. If you don't want that thing any more, I have a nice old Wingmaster I'd trade ya for it. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

@pkinneb Is that Citori doing any better on the range? Our ranges are closed here for the time being, but I'm hoping they open up before summer is out. If you don't want that thing any more, I have a nice old Wingmaster I'd trade ya for it. :)

Our gun club is still closed hoping to open June 1st. Apparently the clay pigeon mfg was shut down so they are having trouble getting clays as well.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Coop said:

@Chip Sawdust, what gauge Wingmaster do you have? I have a 12 and 20 and would love to have a 16.

Ah well I won't be able to help you with that then. It's a 12GA with full choke. I've used it for hunting and reached out surprisingly far on a chukar and pheasants. But I've used it a lot for trap as well. Not so good for skeet as I'm not one who can rack that pump fast enough for crossing shots in all situations. I'm hoping the O/U Beretta will prove to be much better for that. The previous owner used it for skeet and had the full choke bored out to modified, so they're both the same (not sure that was smart on that gun; barrels are hard to find/expensive). All I own are 12GA shotguns.

I’d be leary on a barrel that has been bored out, to who’s spec’s. Most modern shotguns nows days have choke tubes from the factory. As you get older, experience will give you better rewards, thus allowing for a smaller gauge. That and the bump from 12 to 20 is a whole lot easier to absorb. Hunting in the Rio Grand Valley for white wing doves was an enlightening experience for me back in the early 70’s. After my first days hunt with a 12ga., I took a hand towel from the motel and stitched it to the shoulder of my hunting vest. It looked like a Kotex maxi pad but sure as heck got the job done. 

The guy who traded me for the shotgun got it from his lawyer, who has an extensive  gun collection, is an ISPCA champion in different states (lives in Colorado) and uses a gunsmith he’s used for years, so the gun’s pedigree for me is known. It’s an O/U without any threaded choke tubes on it; these we’re the original barrels. Yeah I don’t want guns that have been messed with by cuzzin Joe-Bob down the end of that thar dirt road... The owner wanted to make it a skeet gun ergo the choke change  

The 12 gauge is pretty ubiquitous for game hunting and clays. I’ve shot but never owned a 20, but the kick of a 12 has never bothered me either. Then again, my long range rifle is a 300WM and they kick hard, yet it’s never bothered me, either. I’m a big guy, 6’5” with some resistive inertia and learned to shoot about 50 years ago. :) Had my first shotgun, a 12GA, when I was 12 (appropriate eh?).

As for learning as I get older there is always truth to that. I know at 61 there’s still a lot to learn in life. My wife says my shooting cutoff date is about 80 so we’ll see :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Had my first shotgun, a 12GA, when I was 12 (appropriate eh?).

As for learning as I get older there is always truth to that. I know at 61 there’s still a lot to learn in life. My wife says my shooting cutoff date is about 80 so we’ll see :) 

Grandpa gave me his old 20 ga. when I was 9, but I started 'coon hunting with him as soon as I could carry a flashlight without dragging it on the ground. Dad says I was about 3.  Started shooting a .22 around age 7, and the 20 ga. about a year later.

And tell your wife that the shooting won't be cut off until the gun starts putting you on your butt. Then switch to lighter loads...

• Haha 1