Anyone here into highly customized finishes?

ADAM LAW

I am in the very high end custom cabinetry and millworking industry.  We never do the same finish twice and i'm constantly coming up with new ways to finish products.  Just wondering if anyone else out there might be in the same field and would like to exchange ideas or information.  Also, anyone on this site is more than welcome to pick my brain with any questions.

Adam Law

• Like 2

Hi Adam!

I'm afraid you're going to see a lot of Arm-R-Seal around here, but we do have the occasional adventure into french polished shellac or spraying lacquer. Only a handful of us are pros with access to some of the supplies you might use, but don't let that stop you from hanging around!

• Like 1

I have done some cerusing on an oak project we did. It was on white oak.  Even using white oak it had a pink hue after liming process. I ended up bleaching the wood with %35 hydrogen peroxide mixed with a little bit of powdered drain cleaner then proceeded with the liming. Always do test pieces to see how much of the liming powder will disappear when sealed of top coated. Feel free to ask of you have any other questions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ADAM LAW said:

Feel free to ask me anything. 

Hypothetically, if you took a piece of notebook paper and tore it in half, then stacked the two pieces together and tore them in half, stacked and repeated until you'd done it 100 times, how tall would the stack of paper be? You said anything.

Welcome to the forum! I'm wrapping up an 8 week course on finishing at school next week. I had some fun getting to play around with all the finishing products (without having to buy them). We used a bunch of dyes, oil and water based, pigments, stains, sealers on various species of wood. Did some shou sugi ban. One of the students did some burn testing using water to hinder burning in certain areas with some pretty cool results. He dyed a piece of ash bright orange then burned it. Turned very silvery black.

I learned just enough to know how little I know. I'm looking forward to learning more from your posts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Hypothetically, if you took a piece of notebook paper and tore it in half, then stacked the two pieces together and tore them in half, stacked and repeated until you'd done it 100 times, how tall would the stack of paper be? You said anything.

Don't fall for that, Adam, it's a trick question.  Obviously it depends on whether the notebook paper is lined or plain.

• Like 1

I'll also chime in and welcome you to the forum, Adam!  We'd love to see some photos of your work, assuming you can show them.

I regularly spray Nitrocellulose lacquer, do French polish, and have done some gold leaf overlay.  Past that I don't know much at all so count me in the group that is eager to learn.

David