ZCIs for the PM2000B

..Kev

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

I swore i saw Marc "Fix" his table saw sled or a ZCI by taping it off epoxying the slot and recutting it. Changeable inserts would be easier but it's crossed my mind for my inserts that have gotten sloppy.

Yep..  However, being a new saw, I didn't have any inserts.  So, good time to just make a template and knock out as many as you'd like.  Once you have the template, that's much faster than waiting for epoxy to cure.

20 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Yeah, a blank SCI for my PM72 is over $100, i believe. Do you have a bit of flex in yours? My ply flexes a bit over the length of the opening if i push on it. The opening on the 72 is longer than the 2000 or 66, and it might be a non-issue for you. 

I could probably make it flex but, no, there's no real flex.

The 2000B is longer than the 2000.  I found this out when I ordered a ZCI and it was too short..

The inserts on the 2000B measure about. 15.5" long.

I plan on building a Maloof low back chair and bought the video and plans from Mr. Charles Brock. He is a great instructor and the videos were superb but, his zci leave a lot to be desired. I cringed on several of his fine cuts. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Yeah, a blank SCI for my PM72 is over $100, i believe. Do you have a bit of flex in yours? My ply flexes a bit over the length of the opening if i push on it. The opening on the 72 is longer than the 2000 or 66, and it might be a non-issue for you. 

23 hours ago, ..Kev said:

I could probably make it flex but, no, there's no real flex.

The 2000B is longer than the 2000.  I found this out when I ordered a ZCI and it was too short..

The inserts on the 2000B measure about. 15.5" long.

The old Emerson/Craftsman 113. saws had a thin insert.  Although my ZCI's were thicker and fitted via a rabbet around the outer edge, I still stiffened them with a piece of hardwood laminated to the bottom lengthwise.  This was easy to do and made a definite improvement for those fussy cuts that put pressure on the ZCI.  If you do this, remember to take the direction of your tilt into account.  Been so long ago I couldn't find a pic.  Just tossing this out there ;-)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

I made a  ZCI of Baltic birch a couple of years ago and tapped the plywood for the allen screws.  the plywood took the taps well and I have had no problems.

Interesting!  I really didn't thing the BB ply would take the taps!  That's good to know!

One thing I didn't like about the ply was the amount of splintering when cutting the kerf.  A little sanding takes care of it but, still quite a bit of splintering..

4 hours ago, ..Kev said:

One thing I didn't like about the ply was the amount of splintering when cutting the kerf.

Agreed.  The softer wood in the plywd will also tend to get round off from the flying dust after awhile.  I should probably make a new one (or batch).

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, aside from the non zci that came with my saw, I bought 3 blank inserts. One I use for my 90* cuts both full and thin kerf blades. One I made for 90 to 45* tilt and the other for my dado stack. Do you guys have others for any other cuts? 

46 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Just out of curiosity, aside from the non zci that came with my saw, I bought 3 blank inserts. One I use for my 90* cuts both full and thin kerf blades. One I made for 90 to 45* tilt and the other for my dado stack. Do you guys have others for any other cuts? 

Where ours are set up for tilt, mine are generally set up for different configurations of my dado stack.  3/4", 1/2", and 1/4" dados.  I have some blanks so, when the need comes up, I'll set one up for tilting the blade.

40 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

So if you need a 55* cut, you will use a fresh blank? My thinking on that is that I still have the same width left on the right side of the blade as I always have. My fence is 99% of the time to the right of my blade. 

I would pop a fresh insert in.  Zero clearance is to prevent tear out on the material you're cutting.  If the material is unsupported by the insert then, you loose the effectiveness.