Flag Display Case Times Three

Chet

32 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Great project Chet! Do you have a sketch of of an idea that you can share with us? 

No I don't Ken.  It kind of went from my head to the proto type and once I was satisfied with that I took it apart to use as set up templates.

29 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Chet, will these have a glass front? I like the idea about the blue tape and drum sander.

Yes, glass for the front, in fact I am thinking of getting the glass with a beveled edge all the way around.

• Like 1

Just don’t use glare proof glass. I tried on a shadow box and it distorts the view. Apparently it is designed to fit against a print or painting. 

33 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Box joints on a 45, that’s something I haven’t seen, well done sir!

Yeah, that’s a new trick I need to try! Either that or send the pieces to Chet to have them cut right! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Starrett gauge would come in handy

I have some kitchen and dinning room work coming up and I know it will get over used on that because I don't think we have a single square corner in this house.  This one is aluminum, they have a plastic one that is quite a bit cheaper but  I was concerned that the plastic might have enough give to it to still through your numbers off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

are these for some veterans ?

Yes, My Dad, WWII, my father in law, WWII, Korea & Viet Nam.  And then my youngest sister's husband who was in the Navy and then as a Government Employee with the Navy until he was killed in an automobile accident this last November.  I have my Dads and Father in laws flags.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Oh and how about throwing a little sawdust around once in a while so the rest of us don't feel like such slobs in our shops :P

I will see what I can do, but it really goes against my better judgement.:o

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Those flag cases look awesome!! I'm excited to see the final result.

That rubber flooring is nice. One of theses days i should outfit my shop like that.

How does the rubber handle minor finish spills or glue drips?

He doesn't even let saw dust hit it do you really think its seen glue or finish spills :P 

FWIW I have the same flooring and had a couple drops of glue hit mine and if you let it get hard it pops right off. I would think if you smeared it not so much. I personally don't have it where I glue or in my finish room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

How does the rubber handle minor finish spills or glue drips?

9 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

He doesn't even let saw dust hit it do you really think its seen glue or finish spills

I am about to make Paul's day... Saturday when I was putting a coat of shellac on the cases, I had the shellac in a small dixie cup and I knocked it over and some ended up on the flooring.  I wiped it up with some denatured alcohol.  If you look just right you can see a slight sheen but the mat is fine you don't feel a slick spot from the shellac or any other residual effect.  Like Paul said a little drop of glue just pops right off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1