Flag Display Case Times Three

Chet

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Chet said:

Borrow away.

Thanks. It looks like the project will be pushed back until this summer or fall. My grandfather died a week or so before Christmas, and just a few days before his 100th birthday. He was a pilot in WW2 and Korea, flying 52 combat missions in bombers. 
My dad wants to make the flag display with me, so it will be done after I move this summer, when we will be closer.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Chet a few questions on this project. I know it's been a while, do you remember what you used for a depth? I have a flag displace case in my near future and forgot to measure how thick the flag was.

Also where did you source the engraved plaque? I really like the added base and the touch the engraved plaque adds.

Thanks

The outside dimension is 3 5/8",  internally it is 2 7/8".  I used a 1/4" thick back panel and the glass is set back 1/2" from the front edge and the glass was 1/8' thick if I remember correctly.

I did the engraved plate myself.  I have had a small awards business for the past 15 years that I run from home so I have the engraver.  The format that I used for the engraving is the same as it appears on the grave marker that was provided by the military.

If you want a plate made drop me a PM.

• Thanks 1

@Chestnut funny thus just came up, I just finished one in walnut, promised a good friends widow I would make one for my friends flag, I used the plans off of Woodworkers Journal for the dimensions, applied a 1 1/8” by 5/16” thick  mounding on the front of the case to retain the glass and used silicone to secure it in place, 1/4” MDF back screwed into a rabbit in the back, it’s always an honor to make these as sad as it is

• Thanks 1