WTB- Sculpted Rocker Specific tools/accessories

Pwk5017

Im about to start the sculpted rocker build, and figured there might be a few people out there that geared up for the project and now dont plan on doing another rocker project for the rest of their lives. Anyone want to sell carving discs, die grinders, rasps, the whiteside bit set etc?

That’s a darn good idea and something I should have thought of before I started my chair but now that they’re in my arsenal, I think I’ll keep them. Although I went thru the gamut of tools, I found the Auriou rasp, the Holey Galahad discs and the soft pad for the ETS 150 to be the most useful. You going to do a thread on yours? Oh, and don’t even think about buying your die grinder from HF! 

Thanks, Coop. Im a cheap SOB, and this build requires a lot of somewhat specific tools and accessories. I havent priced it up yet, but im assuming ill be around $750 without wood.

Ha, i was thinking of buying a die grinder from HF!! The shame that came across me after i realized what i was doing. The die grinder seems really useful after watching most of the videos. 

Somehow the Holey Galahad fine disc was $23 on amazon last night, so i bought it. I thought those discs were normally $70ish?

I found the die grinder very helpful on my sculpted bar stools. For me the third one was the charm. I started with a Makita battery operated but it was to big and not enough power. then I went to a electric one (can't remember the brand) again to big. I ended up with an IR air powered one that worked awesome  and in a very small package. The down side is you will need a bigger air compressor then a pancake style.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Thanks, Coop. Im a cheap SOB, and this build requires a lot of somewhat specific tools and accessories. I havent priced it up yet, but im assuming ill be around $750 without wood.

Ha, i was thinking of buying a die grinder from HF!! The shame that came across me after i realized what i was doing. The die grinder seems really useful after watching most of the videos. 

Somehow the Holey Galahad fine disc was $23 on amazon last night, so i bought it. I thought those discs were normally $70ish?

First off, after this build I found myself drawn to this type of furniture and I'm glad I invested in the tools needed. But if this truly is just a one off then I completely understand. 

You got a good deal on that disc, you could use that for the whole build and possibly skip the coarse one.

As for bits to put in the die grinder there is only one or two I would buy. This one is the best and it isn't listed on Marc's project list.  I use it 90% of the time;  https://www.amazon.com/Kutzall-Extreme-Ball-Shaft-6-3mm/dp/B0721LD4KL/ref=pd_bxgy_469_img_2/136-0385321-0787627?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0721LD4KL&pd_rd_r=a44e51be-974e-11e9-b0ea-7bcf8230b9e5&pd_rd_w=8YJxV&pd_rd_wg=yZSRT&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=K1653NHA8DS8Q03GAP7R&psc=1&refRID=K1653NHA8DS8Q03GAP7R

I use this one just for the front leg joint; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037MK954/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0037MK954&linkCode=as2&tag=thewoodwhispe-20&linkId=S6CG5PF5SCGFAYZF

I might have a few items I could sell to you. 

I know I have 2 angle grinders and I never use them. One is a plug in and one is a rechargeable. I think you were looking more for a die grinder, but if you want an angle grinder tell me. If you want the coarse Galahad I could part with that.

I have this Auriou Rasp, it's the Albi, a 10" combination rasp that is a coarse 5 grain on one side and a fine/med 9 grain on the other side. Have hardly used this rasp. Just haven't found this rasp to be one I reach for, but it is good quality and I'm sure someone here can put it to better use than me. List for this is about $115, will sell for $70 and you pay shipping,

741244434_Auriou3.JPG.2ea29e308c1df309293b0fdec0fa84f3.JPG

This rasp could do most of the shaping and if you added a Modeler's rasp you would be set.

Im going to give that rasp some thought, because i don know if i feel like spending $300 on rasps. 

I am on the fence with the angle grinder. I have a beater that i got for free. It came with a metabo disc on it that was stamped "made in west germany" to give you an idea of the grinder's vintage. I might use it to see if im dissatisfied and then go out and buy a new dewalt for $60. Angle grinder design hasnt changed much, and this is mostly about the cutting disc. I think i only saw marc use the coarse wheel once or twice in the beginning, and every other instance he had the fine wheel on the grinder. Leads me to believe the fine wheel is plenty aggressive for the work that needs to be done. 

I tried to buy a metabo electric die grinder off craigslist in NJ, but the owner wouldnt ship. I guess ill end up with the corded Makita. It isnt too bad for $100. 

FYI, be sure you pick a grinder that is correctly sized for the disks. A 4" grinder doesn't handle 4.5" disks very well.

IMO, HF has a couple of models that are an excellent value, and REALLY cheap with a coupon. I've been happy with mine. Does everything my 4" Makita grinder does, plus takes 4.5" disks.

No worries on the rasp, what ever you decide. The one I'm showing you is just for rough shaping, it's pretty coarse. If you buy a Auriou Modeler's rasp for more fine work I'm sure you could resell it for a fair price. Heck I might even buy it. Those Modeler rasps are real nice. You'll likely not want to give it up.

Good advice by Highlander, I got a cheap on on ebay, a Black and Decker for like $30 and it works fine but I don't use angle grinders any more since I started using the RAS 115. I'd use your beater or buy cheap. 

The corded Makita is very servicable.

34 minutes ago, Bmac said:

If you buy a Auriou Modeler's rasp for more fine work I'm sure you could resell it for a fair price. Heck I might even buy it. Those Modeler rasps are real nice. You'll likely not want to give it up.

I have the Auriou 6 and 9 grain and the Modeler's rasp and I use them all but I probably use the Modeler's twice as much as the other two combined... It is nice.

I have the same Auriou rasp that @Bmac has and really like it. You’ll use it forever. I might have been a bit unfair with the HF die grinder. These are the three items I tried to use it with. The one on the left worked great. The one in the center created so much heat in the grinder that I had to use leather gloves to hold it. The sanding dealie, I had to shut it off immediately, probably due to it’s weight and the rpm’s of the grinder.

29E558F2-A08E-4D6E-ADBB-7B4385887B78.thumb.jpeg.594c290dc6394c2b3b35a220d76023a5.jpeg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I have the same Auriou rasp that @Bmac has and really like it. You’ll use it forever. I might have been a bit unfair with the HF die grinder. These are the three items I tried to use it with. The one on the left worked great. The one in the center created so much heat in the grinder that I had to use leather gloves to hold it. The sanding dealie, I had to shut it off immediately, probably due to it’s weight and the rpm’s of the grinder.

29E558F2-A08E-4D6E-ADBB-7B4385887B78.thumb.jpeg.594c290dc6394c2b3b35a220d76023a5.jpeg

Ken, I have one of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-45-cfm-air-die-grinder-92144.html

And it works great. Reduce psi to reduce speed. Does require a good volume of air, though. A pancake or hotdog compressor won't cut it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I also misspoke about the Auriou rasp. Mine is the 9” cabinet rasp, grain 10. Having said that, the modelers rasp comes in a 10 and 13 grain. Chet and Bmac, which do you suggest? 

I have the 7" 13 grain Modelers rasp. It is hands down my favorite rasp. My second favorite rasp is a Auriou 10" Cabinetmakers 11 grain rasp. A close second  is a Liogier Sage Leaf rasp 14 grain. This Sage Leaf is convex on both sides at different radii and I only use this rasp on curves. When doing a sculptured chair these 3 sit on the bench by me the whole shaping process. 

I will sparingly use a Liogier Rat Tail rasp (round narrow rasp that tapers to a point) at the front leg joint. This is the toughest area to shape in my opinion on the rocker. 

Ken, if you are looking at getting a Modelers rasp, I went on Highlander's website and it looks like they are out of stock on that model, unless you are left handed. Woodcraft sells the Liogier brand, I've found this to be comparable to the Auriou, and they have Modeler rasps in stock. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Ken, I have one of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-45-cfm-air-die-grinder-92144.html

And it works great. Reduce psi to reduce speed. Does require a good volume of air, though. A pancake or hotdog compressor won't cut it.

I have a small compressor that is rated for continuous duty would adding a larger air cylinder to the system help? I know the air compressor can only flow so much but i was thinking a larger tank might even things out enough.

11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I have a small compressor that is rated for continuous duty would adding a larger air cylinder to the system help? I know the air compressor can only flow so much but i was thinking a larger tank might even things out enough.

It will certainly help. Especially if you turn the output regulator down a bit. At full psi, my grinder drains the pancake tank below the compressor cutoff in about 3 seconds. But it spins at a usable sculpting speed down to almost 20 psi, giving me almost 30 seconds before starting the compressor. When I had a larger tank, I could grind longer at low psi between refillings, but it was still a lot of work for a small oil-less single stage compressor. And really, really noisy.

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 53 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    walo47
    Newest Member
    walo47