Sign in to follow this  
Mick S

SCM S500P Bandsaw Review

Good choice!  I found out about those top holes the hard way too.  I added another dust port in the lower hinge corner of the lower door, on my old 600, and it helped dust collection a lot.

Even though machines this size are still  bandsaws, they put resawing several leagues ahead of the typical hobbyist bandsaw, and seem like a whole new category of woodworking machinery when you first run one.

• Like 1

I know what Carter guides are and what ceramic guides are, but what are euro guides?

11 hours ago, Mick S said:

Fence was out of perpendicularity to the table +/- 1/64” over 4”. Filed down the landing on the bottom of the fence. Solved.

I had a similar problem with the fence on my Jet (which I admit among bandsaws is a lower life form).  I can forgive the misalignment after all the shipping, but what I find more difficult to accept is the lack of adjustment screws.  I used packaging tape to shim mine.  

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I know what Carter guides are and what ceramic guides are, but what are euro guides?

I’m not sure about the other models, but Jet uses Euro guides on the current 16” model. Two side bearings aligned with the faces parallel to the blade and one thrust bearing perpendicular to the blade. 

OK i'm confused because the Euro guides look identical to carter guides. Am I missing something?

I always thought euro guides were the ceramic guides.

Carter makes several styles of guides. Some are Euro style. The ones SCM used on this model had steel blocks for the side guides rather than bearings. The SCM at school has Carter Euro guides but are a major pain to adjust. 

Great review Mick. I’ve gotta ask, what Chardonnay did you offer your wife to get that kind of response? I, obviously, have been using the wrong approach! :unsure:

Great machine bud! 

• Haha 1