Boulder Thieves!!!!

Tom King

Kind of a long story.   It rained two inches yesterday.  Across one of the state roads on both sides of our place there is some construction work going on.  Those guys didn't work today, because the ground was too wet from all the rain. 

There is another state road that goes down the middle of our place.  Off that middle road is a path to an abandoned rock quarry.  The path in to the rock quarry is a bit less than a quarter mile.  The quarry hole has 8 tenths of an acre of water in it, and several acres of all sizes of Granite around it, and beside the path when you get close to the quarry.

Someone "borrowed" a dump truck, and rubber tracked skid steer loader from the construction site, and went into the quarry path, tearing the red dirt path all to pieces.  They did obviously take some fairly large bolders, knocking down trees in the process.

On their way out, they made a wrong turn onto some of our trails, and got the truck stuck up to the axle. They went back to the construction site, and "borrowed" a 320 class excavator, driving it across the state road, knocking down some trees,  got it onto our trails, and walked it about a half mile to pull the dump truck out.  All this I figured out by the tracks left, and holes where the truck got stuck.  They walked the big excavator back, and parked it where it was, but it left two thick, muddy tracks across the road.

I knew the equipment owner, and called him.  I knew he hadn't done it.  He said they didn't even work today.  People don't take keys out of stuff around here, but maybe they'll start.

So, we're missing some big rocks, that I would have given anyone if they asked, and they won't be missed a bit, but I'm pretty pissed about the path, and trails being torn up so badly by someone who knows how to operate equipment, but was too stupid to realize that after two inches of rain, the ground would be too soft to put any piece of equipment on.

A deputy did come out, and made a report, but who knows if anything will come of it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

It's not really a big deal.  Just really strange.  It must have been a crazy person.

I'm glad I didn't catch him, or I might have had him to dig a hole, since he knew how to operate an excavator.

It won't take me very long to fix the dirt damage, but it's not like I need something else to do.

I wouldn't have even seen it for a long time, but I let some of the people who live around us ride dirt bikes on the trails, just to keep kids off, and out of the rock quarry.  They're mostly retired guys, and a few Wives, with about half of them being retired military officers, and a few Rangers, and Seals.  I call them the Motocross Militia.  They actually enjoy chasing the kids out.  One of them called me about it.

It gets weirder!

The story about my stolen rocks got partially solved, and ended up being stranger than it sounded to start with. The person who got the stones was someone from across the lake. He is new around here, and someone told him that he owned the land, to go get the rocks for a couple of hundred dollars, and told him how to get here.

This person had just bought a new dumptruck, and Bobcat. He didn't know what he was doing, but did manage to get some rocks.

He was not the person who used the other equipment, including the 320 excavator. Someone else had gotten stuck that same day, on our trails, got the truck, and skid loader stuck trying to get whatever he was stuck in out, and went back to get the excavator. We still have no idea who this second person was, but I'm convinced by the story of the new guy who got the rocks, that he didn't use the other equipment.

The new guy tried to fix the road to the quarry with his stuff, but he was too new an operator to be able to do it. The guy who owns the other equipment told me he'd fix all the damage, just to stay on my good side. It won't be much trouble for him, and his stuff is still not far away.

13 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Most people really don't know what their property boundaries are don't they? This is really weird.

Typically it is worst around lakes and hills. Around lakes, easements to allow docks to offshore properties make for screwy arrangements. I am not defending the boulder thieves, but I worked construction for a decade in lake filled countryside. 

The trouble here is the rock quarry, not the lake.  Everyone around here knows about the rock quarry, and I doubt anyone who grew up in a 25 mile radius has not gone swimming in there, when they were young.  I know I would have.  So everyone knows about it, and knows me.  It's a half mile from the house, so we can't hear when anyone goes in there, and most think since there is not a house in sight, that it doesn't matter, in spite of well posted No Trespassing signs.

I expect the person who got stuck was looking for the quarry, and made a wrong turn onto the trails.  It was a warm, sunny day, but had rained 2" the day before.  Most people don't know what that means, and think if they have 4wd that they can get anywhere.